Search for content in message boards

Flynn of Castlegregory

Flynn of Castlegregory

Posted: 4 Dec 2007 12:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Have not researched Irish records before.Trying to find a birth for Michael Flynn born @ 1838 Castlegregory Kerry to parents Michael Flynn and Johanna Kean.Where could I find his parents marriage and births? Have been unable to find any online records at all! Thanks

Re: Flynn of Castlegregory

Posted: 20 Jan 2008 1:03PM GMT
Surnames: Flynn, Keane, Lynch
My great-great-grandfather Jeremiah Flynn is reputed (no written record)to have come from Keel, Castlemaine to Glenlough, Castlegregory with his brother Michael. Michael occupied the farm in 1850 (and probably earlier). Jeremiah married Catherine Lynch in Keel in 1853. Jeremiah is listed as the farm occupier in 1861 and the line is clear from there on. I have nothing on Michael other than his name in Griffith's Valuation as occupier of the property in 1850.

I have searched the Castlegregory parish records without success for anything on Michael (marriage, birth of children). I also have not seen an entry for your Michael born c. 1838 or any entry for Michael Flynn and Johanna Kean/Keane (marriage or baptisms of children). There were Keane families in the area at the time and also a number of Flynn families.

What is your source for the birth place of Michael b. 1838. Do you have anything on siblings. Where did he go to ?

Castlegregory parish records (marriages and baptisms) started in 1828 but names of fathers of the bride and groom were not recorded until 1864.

Contact me privately if you wish.

Posted: 21 Jan 2008 10:33AM GMT
Many thanks for your reply. Michael Flynn emigrated to Australia and married Elizabeth Oakeley (Kelly) at Bullarook Victoria on 1st October 1870.His marriage certificate staes he was 32 at the time of his marriage making him born @ 1838.His parents are listed as Michael Flynn(farmer) and Johanna Kean and it states his birthplace was Casltegregory Kerry Ire. Elizabeth was born in Templederry Tipperary to parents Patrick Oakeley or O'Kelly and Mary Ryan.That is all the info I have presently.They were Catholics if thats any help.Apparently Michael died when the children he had with Elizabeth(8 children) were very young and the family were destitute.I have not been able to find his death records. He was most likely a miner as this area was a goldfield. Regards

Posted: 13 Jan 2012 10:41AM GMT
Hoping to contact you regarding Michael Flynn from Castlegregory. I am directly related to him. I live in Melbourne Australia and possibly have the information you are seeking.

Posted: 13 Jan 2012 10:29PM GMT
Many thanks for your reply.I too live in melbourne, and have been researching this line which is my husbands for a few years now. I was at a dead end with this line. I have the marriage and death certificates for michael flynn and elizabeth o'kelly/oakley. They are my husbands ggg grandparents.Any further info on this family greatly appreciated. As you can see I haven't been able to find any further records in Ireland. Kind regards Corinna Stewart

Posted: 14 Jan 2012 12:58AM GMT
Hi Corinna,am thrilled to be able to make contact, please phone me to discuss, 0448636366, regards Brian Flynn.

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 11:40AM GMT
Hello I am also interested in this family as I believe one possibly two of the daughter of Michael and Elizabeth married my ancestors Weller.
Margaret Mary Flynn b 1879
Mary Winifred Flynn b 1876
If anyone has any information I would be greatly Thankful.
Was Elizabeths maiden name Oakley or o Kelly ?
Thank you.

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 3:17AM GMT
Hi Jayn,noticed your interest in Flynn/Weller association, I have information regarding Mary and Margaret as mentioned in your query.
There is definitely confusion in the information provided on the birth certificates regarding "mothers maiden name".
You may post a reply or email me
neoeon@bigpond.com.au
Regards Brian Flynn.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic