Search for content in message boards

Richard Cody

Richard Cody

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 3:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm trying to find someone who might have knowledge of my g-grandfather who might have lived in the Canterbury area around the early 1930's. He probably moved there leaving behind a wife, Minnie and 2 children, Walter and Beatrice, who were living in Spenser MA at the time.

Richard CODY, born Worcester County MA August 1868; died after 1900, place unknown

Posted: 24 Oct 2013 11:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
It's helpful to include estimates of age/birth date for the individuals being researched.

In this case, a quick check of 1930 census index shows a 57-year-old Minnie M. Cody in Spencer Worcester MA with married daughter Beatrice Guenther. This indicates I'm looking for a Minnie Cody born c1872. In this census Minnie claims to be widowed.

Going back to 1920, I see Minnie was already living alone with Beatrice (18) and Walter (22) in Spencer Worcester MA at that time (address 68 Mechanic St.). The census data suggests that Minnie and Richard both were born in Canada, and both of the children were born in Massachusetts. In this census Minnie claims to still be married.

A possible match in 1910 shows Minnie working as a housekeeper in the household of Peter MORISSEY in Gardner, Worcester, MA. In this census Minnie claims to be married.

Richard was enumerated with Minnie and Walter in 1900, thus:
1900 Gardner, Worcester, MA
Richard Cody 30 [Aug 1869, born MA, parents IRE]
Minnie Cody 30 [May 1870, born CAN, parents CAN]
Walter Cody 2 [June 1897, born MA]

So now we know that we are looking for a Richard CODY born circa Aug 1869, in Massachusetts, and both of his parents born in Ireland.

Going back to 1880, I do find a Richard CODY born c1869 in MA, residing in Rutland Worcester MA with parents Richard and Mary, both from Ireland, and a sister Catherine (b c1866 MA).

I also found a 25 Dec 1894 marriage record for Richard Cody JR. and Mary Caban.

Massachusetts birth records indicate that Richard Jr. was born in August 1868, not August 1869.

All right, now we are ready to look for Richard Cody in New Hampshire, armed with his birth month/year and birthplace.

In 1900, a Richard A. CODY from Nebraska resided in Canterbury, Merrimack, NH.
In 1901, Richard Aldus CODY married Mary Prescott BROWN.
In 1905, a Richard Malcolm CODY died in Andover Merrimack NH; his father's name was William CODY.
This is the only evidence I've found for a Richard CODY in/near Canterbury NH.

The question remains: What happened to Richard CODY? I note that his father died 1903. If you have Richard Sr.'s obituary, you might check it for church and cemetery information, and check those places for additional information about Richard Jr.

Another approach is to procure obituaries for all of Richard's siblings to check for references to Richard and his whereabouts.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic