Search for content in message boards

Simeon Barber Cole

Simeon Barber Cole

R Rudd (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2000 2:05AM GMT
I am trying to find some information about Simeon Barber Cole born in Brownville, Jefferson County, NY. His father was Benoni Cole and his mother was Hannah Kenyon. I think his middle name is Maiden name on Hannah Kenyon's side of the family. The Kenyons and the Barber were very close. I belive they came from Rhode Island. Can anyone help please?

Re: Simeon Barber Cole

Ken Hart (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2003 11:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a Simeon Cole born in New York state in 1801, who married Nancy Wakely in 1822 and is found in the us census in Allegany Co. NY in 1830. Any chance this could be your Simeon?

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 6:02AM GMT
Surnames: Kenyon
Do you have any dates to go with any of your names? That would help,immensely.

Marilyn Kenyon

Posted: 26 Jan 2010 5:43AM GMT
I have searched this puzzle for many years and have info. but not many positive documents yet.
I suspect Simeon had 2 wives. The 1st was Sarah Ann, who I suspect is the mother of Moses N. Cole(b. 1836, d.7 Feb 1862) and Rhoda Mariah Cole, b.1838 (who is my ancester).Family stories say Rhoda's parents died young and she was raised by Uncles with strange names. Moses andRhoda are mentioned with Simeon and Sarah Ann in the diary of Jennie Cole (dau. of Simeon Barber Cole) of Lorraine 1875. Benoni and Hannah are Jennie's grandparents. Simeon was age 30 in 1850 census., married about 1835 in Jeff. Co., NY, to Sarah Ann...age 31 in same census, and born in R. I. Simeon's 2nd wife was
Adelia "Delia" M. Bassett who was born 4 Nov 1823 and died 28 Nov 1898. (1830 census)They had several children, but didn't raise Moses or Rhoda. Delia must not have wanted to raise them.
Benoni was born 31 Mar 1795 in Vermont (1825 State Census of Jeff. Co., NY., died June 1870 LaFargeville, N.Y. Hannah Kenyon Cole was born 25 Mar 1802 and died 1 May 1855, buried at Tanners Corners, Alexandria, Jeff., NY
If you want more of my research I will be glad to share.
Gloria Hillier ronglohillier@gmail.com

Posted: 26 Jan 2010 5:43AM GMT
I have searched this puzzle for many years and have info. but not many positive documents yet.
I suspect Simeon had 2 wives. The 1st was Sarah Ann, who I suspect is the mother of Moses N. Cole(b. 1836, d.7 Feb 1862) and Rhoda Mariah Cole, b.1838 (who is my ancester).Family stories say Rhoda's parents died young and she was raised by Uncles with strange names. Moses andRhoda are mentioned with Simeon and Sarah Ann in the diary of Jennie Cole (dau. of Simeon Barber Cole) of Lorraine 1875. Benoni and Hannah are Jennie's grandparents. Simeon was age 30 in 1850 census., married about 1835 in Jeff. Co., NY, to Sarah Ann...age 31 in same census, and born in R. I. Simeon's 2nd wife was
Adelia "Delia" M. Bassett who was born 4 Nov 1823 and died 28 Nov 1898. (1830 census)They had several children, but didn't raise Moses or Rhoda. Delia must not have wanted to raise them.
Benoni was born 31 Mar 1795 in Vermont (1825 State Census of Jeff. Co., NY., died June 1870 LaFargeville, N.Y. Hannah Kenyon Cole was born 25 Mar 1802 and died 1 May 1855, buried at Tanners Corners, Alexandria, Jeff., NY

Posted: 26 Jan 2010 5:47AM GMT

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 4:49PM GMT
Surnames: Cole
My Cole's were from Jefferson Co.as well. I can't help thinking they are related. My gggfather was Allen Cole Sr. Can't find parents. He married Caroline Huntley. Mar. 1847 in Redwood. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Posted: 6 Apr 2010 10:34AM GMT
I doubt if this is my Simeon. He may be, tho. I'm so
confused with this family. Everything fits so far, except that my ancestor, Rhoda Mariah Cole, is 30 years younger than her "brother" Simeon. It is very unusual. So I'm trying to find proof of my suspicion that Simeon is really conected to a Barber line, and that Jennie's diary and the census record is telling me that Simeon and Sarah Ann are married and the parents of Moses and Rhoda. I also need Sarah Ann's maiden name. Wish you could help!

Posted: 6 Apr 2010 10:56AM GMT
My research has not been able to find ANYTHING on the Kenyon line, except they came from Rhode Island. The 1825 Clayton, Jefferson Co., New York census has Benoni Cole, born in Vermont. It only names him, with sex, age only for the others in the household. Not much to go on.
The 1850 N.Y.census lists Benoni(57) and Hannah(49) living with Simeon B. Cole (30), and a Sarah Ann (31), Moses (13) and Rhoda(11). Rhoda is my ancestor. Doesn't this sound like Simeon and Sarah Ann are the parents of Moses and Rhoda? Rhoda's parents died young (but I suspect it was her mother who died young) and simeon remaried and had a large family. I still have more avenues to explore, but could really use some help.

Posted: 6 Apr 2010 11:35AM GMT
The dates I have for the Cole Family:
Benoni Cole, born 31 Mar 1795 Vermont (1825 NY State census); died June 1870 LaFargeville, NY.
Hannah Kenyon Cole, born 25 Mar 1802 R.I., died 1 May 1855
bur. Tanners Corner,Jefferson Co, NY.
Simeon Barber Cole, b. 30 May 1819, d. 7 Feb 1862
md. Adelia M. Bassett b.4 Nov 1823 d, 28 Nov 1898
Adelia (which doesn't seem right as Adelia isn't listed in the 1850 census with him. Needs more research.
That census lists Simeon living with Sarah Ann (31) and Benoni (57), Hannah (49) Moses (13) Rhoda(11).

Gloria Anstead Hillier
per page

Find a board about a specific topic