Search for content in message boards

Wren, Cohen

Wren, Cohen

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 11:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Searching for information on Esther Cohen. Her Husband was Christopher Wren ( although I cannot find a marriage) and there was two sons Henry and Bertie Lionel(Sonny, or Ginger)Wren, born abt 1920 in Hackney. Esther had a sister called Rita and often visited Brighton. Lived in crouch end, middx from about 1940 until their deaths.

Re: Wren, Cohen, Hackney

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 1:00PM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: wren, cohen
BIRTHS

HENRY WREN
MOTHERS MAIDEN NAME COHEN
MAR Q 1922
HACKNEY
1B/950

cannot find another child

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 2:56PM GMT
Thank you, the other one is registered in 1920, Bertie Lionel Wren. I cannot find a birth, death or marriage for Esther. I know she died around about 1988, and possibly born in 1890 in Brighton, however,I cannot find the birth of her sister Rita to confirm I am on the right track.

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 3:08PM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: wren
BERTIE L WREN
MOTHERS NAME WREN
MAR Q 1920
FINSBURY, LONDON
1B
SEE PAGE J'57

cannot see a marriage either

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 3:00PM GMT
Esther Cohen born 2nd Q 1890 Brighton.John

Re: Wren, Cohen

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 3:20PM GMT
Hi Could be with name of Cohen she married in a Jewish synagogue.John

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 4:31PM GMT
It is certainly highly probable that Esther was Jewish, but she would not have married in a synagogue unless her husband was Jewish too. Besides, the marriage would still have been registered, and there is nothing in the index in England or Wales. Unless Christopher was Jewish (and it is highly unlikely, Christopher not being an especially popular Jewish name!), then it is likely that both families would have objected to the match. They may have married in another country - ScotlandsPeople is not showing anything likely north of the border, but France is possible, I suppose. Alternatively, they may have just opted to cohabit - this was much more common than one might suppose.

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 5:33PM GMT
Hi thank you for your reply. As far as I know Christopher was not jewish, but Esther definately was. I think they did co-habit as he was still married to his wife when the sons were born, and even had another child with his wife 2 years later! Marilyn

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 5:37PM GMT
Hi John I have searched the deaths under both Cohen and Wren with no luck. I do believe the birth you mentioned may be correct, although I cannot find a Rita who was esther's sister. I know she visited brighton every year for New Year so had links there. Thank you for your help
Regards
Marilyn

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 6:45PM GMT
Esther married out, she married a non jew

regards
sam
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions