Search for content in message boards

Brazure Cocke's Descendants

Brazure Cocke's Descendants

Posted: 21 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 May 2002 10:35PM GMT
Surnames: COCKE, ANDERSON, COLEMAN, MERRITT, CHEEK, HOLT, BURCH, OLIVER
I am currently trying to develop the descendants of Capt. Brazure Cocke of Henrico and Brunswick Co., VA. He was born at Malvern Hills Plantation in Henrico to Thomas Cocke, Jr. and Mary Brassieur of Nansemond and moved to Brunswick in the 1740's. He died there with a will in 1770. His wife at death was Frances and his children: James Cocke who predeceased him, Thomas Cocke of Cumberland Co., VA, William Cocke who died c. 1795 in Granville Co., NC (desc. in Person and Warren Counties,) Fanny Oliver, wife of John of Granville Co., Elizabeth Holt who took as a second husband, Samuel Burch in Granville, Susannah COleman, Mary Anderson, Martha Cocke who m. William Merritt in Granville and later moved to Chatham Co., NC, and Ann Cheek, wife of Robert, who moved through Granville (the part that became Bute) to Orange Co., NC. I hope anyone who descends from any of these children will contact me.

WHO WAS FRANCES COCKE?

Posted: 9 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 14 May 2002 10:35PM GMT
Surnames: BRIGGS, COCKE, EDMUNDS, NICHOLSON, FLOOD
Seems silly to answer my own posting, but just in case anyone with similar interests ever happens across these messages, I have to ask the following question. Who was Frances, the wife of Brazure Cocke before marriage? Some writers have claimed that Frances was Brazure's second wife and not the mother of many of his children. However, she was his wife as early as 1751 (as proven by the deeds) and probably married him in Henrico County before his coming to Brunswick. James Cocke of Lunenberg, d. 1761, mentions in his will that 50 pounds are to go to his mother out of his estate. This indicates that James' mother was living and therefore, she has to be the Frances of Brazure's will dated 1765. I think, at least, we must consider her the mother of the younger children, if not all of them, including my Anne Cheek.

I have often thought that there might be some clues about Frances' identity in the will of Brazure Cocke. He mentions tools marked 'SB' that should be set aside and given to Samuel Briggs. This Samuel Briggs along with Robert Briggs, sold 150 acres on Waqua Creek, not far from Brazure's home. This Samuel is doubtless a son or grandson of Samuel Briggs (d. 1737, Surry County) by Mary Bailey. But how does he connect with Brazure Cocke? Why would Brazure have tools marked 'SB?'

Also, Nicholas Edmunds and Henry Edmunds, "friends" were made co-executors of the will of Brazure Cocke along with Frances Cocke. Were they somehow related to Frances? Major Nicholas Edmunds (c. 1710--1789) was a powerful man in Brunswick County, as were his sons after him. He was the son of Howell Edmunds (d. 1729) of Surry by Elizabeth Blunt. His first wife was Elizabeth Flood and his second was Mrs. Mary Nicholson, the widow of John Nicholson (d. 1753) of Sussex. Who was this Mary before marriage? Could her family provide the linkage? Henry Edmunds may be a son of Nicholas who predeceased his father and was therefore, omitted in the will of Nicholas Edmunds.

On the other hand, perhaps Frances' lineage can be found in Henrico. If anyone can help, please e-mail lcates@northstate.net.

cocke brazure

scharmayne (View posts)
Posted: 8 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: cocke
do you have the parents of brazure cocke? if you are related threw the line of aston mary- richard cocke there is alot of info on them you can trace all the way back to 0006. please let me know if i can help you. thank you

Re: Brazure Cocke's Descendants

Posted: 19 Sep 2002 12:21AM GMT
Surnames: Cocke, Bedford, Edwards, King
I am descended from Brazure through William m. Rebecca Edwards, William m. Elizabeth Bedford, John m. Elizabeth King, William Bedford m. Teressa Mayberry. I have that Brazure's son William moved to NC, d. 1797. William Bedford (1817-1856) moved to Texas. This line is proven back to Richard and Temperance Baley. I am particularly interested in Cockes in Texas. Thanks.

Posted: 19 Sep 2002 6:31PM GMT
Edited: 11 May 2006 6:26AM GMT
Thank you for replying to my message. I had almost forgotten that I had posted it. I had quite a battle connecting my Robert and Ann Cocke Cheek (sometimes spelled Chick) back to her parents. Working through the female line was made difficult by the ambiguity with which Robert's surname was recorded. He was with your William in Granville County, although he lived in the part that later became Bute County and is now divided into Warren and Franklin Counties. He was the bondsman for the marriage of Elizabeth Holt to Samuel Burch in Granville County and a comparison of his signature there with signatures recorded in Orange County, where he later finally settled (on New Hope Creek) confirms that he is the same person.

I wonder, have you made any headway into identifying Frances Cocke, wife of Brazure. There are a lot of records regarding Brazure from Henrico County to Brunswick, but the clues are very subtle about the identity of his wife. I do believe that she was the mother of most if not all of his children. I am thinking she might have been Frances Branch of what is now Chesterfield County, who appears in the will of her father James Branch (written 1720's I think but probated much later) and not in the will of her mother which entered probate in the same month that Brazure removed to Brunswick County. Brazure's associates in the deeds of Henrico overlap with the extended Branch family on five or six occasions. The Branches were of suitable social status for a marriage into the Cocke line. They were relatives of Thomas Jefferson and of distant royal descent.

Posted: 7 Oct 2002 12:10AM GMT
Edited: 17 Nov 2006 1:56AM GMT
Surnames: Cocke, Brazure, Allday, Mayberry, Gamewell
Nothing new about Frances ___________ Cocke. It's an interesting puzzle. We'll just have to keep digging.

Posted: 16 Nov 2008 10:29PM GMT
Surnames: Cocke, Holt, Hornsby, Lunsford, Kennedy, Smith, Brock
I am new to this but I have some information that was given to me by one of my third cousins about our history and it appears that we are decendants of Brazure through his daughter Elizabeth Cocke Holt who married Dibdall Holt. I can track back to this point but there is some confusion as to if John Holt b:abt1767 was Elizabeth's natural son or that of another wife. John Holt m Chloe in Mississippi and had 4 children all boys William, John Jr., David & Issac. David b: 1795 m Elizabeth Hornsby b:1797, thier daughter Martha Jane Holt m Davis Lunsford of North Carolina and at some point moved to Texas (no known date)- thier son John Lunsford was born June 2 1867 in Polk County Texas(d: Aug 29,1945) John Lunsford married Emma Caroline Smith(b:Dec 20 1871) in 1890. They had 9 children, Oscar Edwin, James Alvin, Albert Lee, Nora Ella, John George, Maud Inet, Myrtel Inez, Ralph Martin & Annie Laurie. Albert Lee Lunsford maried Nora Kennedy and had 4 children Mildred, Neoma, Lucile and Fred Harris Lunsford. Fred Harris Lunsford married Betty Arlene Brock and had two children Fred Jr. and Karen Diane (who is my mother)- Wow - how many generations was that? Anyway I know that there are several places that I don't have concrete evidence and there are many places with missing information but I was hoping to find out if anyone knew the names of Elizabeth's children which would confirm our link with the Cocke family. Thanks for all the help!

Posted: 8 Jun 2009 8:40PM GMT
I have in my line a Welliam Merritt who married a Martha Cocke and Ann Cocke who married Thomas Marriott (Merritt)Sr.

Thanks
Donna
dkhisel@gmail.com

Posted: 14 Jun 2009 9:13PM GMT
William who married Martha is in our DNA study:

http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/merritt/pats

Just search on Martha's last name on that page to find it.

Not matched to any other family yet, but with only one sample we need to find more of this line to particpate in the study.

Just a place to look - Mike Merritt

Posted: 15 Jun 2009 12:00AM GMT
Surnames: Cocke, Ross
Would you know if any of the Brunswick co Va Cockes ended up in Clarke co Georgia in the early 1800's. My ancestor was named George wray who was in Brunswick co Va in the 1770's and went to NC and then to Wilkes co Ga and then to Clarke co Ga in the early 1800's and there was a Cocke living very close to George Ray. Thanks,Ross
per page

Find a board about a specific topic