Search for content in message boards

Dafoes in St Lawrence Co, Canton, NY

Dafoes in St Lawrence Co, Canton, NY

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 3:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dafoe, Sweet, Corbine, Merrihew etc
Would like to correspond with anyone who are researching the DAFOE families. Please contact me at jdafoe2@comcast.net

Re: Dafoes in St Lawrence Co, Canton, NY

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 9:48PM GMT
Surnames: Dafoe, DeFoe, De Veau, etc. Clement, Waelde, McMullen, Greenleaf and Parker
I have ten booklets on the Dafoe Family that were compiled by Edward H. Dafoe of Montreal ca. 1930. All but one of the booklets are copies made from the old blueprint process.

I am interested to know if the early history of the families and the spelling variations have been researched further or revised. These booklets were distributed to all contributors and their families.

The following is a my summary of their content:
1. United Empire Loyalist settlement claims, Flemish immigrants, Military affiliation, Settlement details. Pages 20 HS
2. New York and early Dafoe history. Pages: 18 HS
3. John Dafoe and Adeline Parker Genealogy. Pages: 12 HS.
4. The Clement Genealogy. Pages: 20 HS
5. Letters of Dr. W. A. Dafoe on family history. Pages 13
6. Erastus Dafoe claim of German ancestry and additional details on that line. Pages: 5
7. Conrad Dafoe Descendants submitted by Albert Dafoe. Pages: 6
8. New York - Early history and the Du Four/De Veaux connection. Pages: 3.
9. Dafoe of Nebraska, Charts for various branches. Pages: 9.
10. Family history for Dafoe, Waelde, Mc Mullen, and Greenleaf with charts. There appears to be one or more pages missing. Pages: 18

Note: HS refers to “half-sheets.” Some booklet pages are full sheets and others were written to be bound. The Booklets are 8.5 x 5.5 inches or one full sheet folded in half. There are 124 pages some of which are full page letters.

I would be interested in hearing from researchers who have looked at the U.S. origins of this line.

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 10:05PM GMT
I am not sure what you are looking for but Conrad Dafoe was my 3rd G Grandfather who married Anne Eve Empey

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 4:55PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: Dafoe
I would like to know where they originated in Europe before arriving in America.
The 'booklets" name David De Veau from Amsterdam who settled in Harlem in 1662. Also included are excerpts of a letter from Erastus Dafoe claiming his great-grandparents (John/Johan) were German and from the area of Alsace-Lorraine.
There are 20 family trees at Ancestry.com that have adopted Daniel Dafoe of Vail, Switzerland as the head of the American Branch, arriving in 1710.

It appears that the family structure is fairly well supported back to Abraham. I have Conrad, son of John Ernst Dafoe and John, son of Abraham. Do you concur?

Conrad would be my 4th Great-Grandfather.

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 8:12PM GMT
The theory that is always exccepted by all rseearchers that I have ever come in contact with is the following

"Daniel Dafoe of Vail, Switzerland as the head of the American Branch, arriving in 1710"

It appears that the family structure is fairly well supported back to Abraham. I have Conrad, son of John Ernst Dafoe and John, son of Abraham. Do you concur?
YES I CONCUR!!!!! it goes: Daniel, Abraham, John Ernst, Conrad, William, David Conrad, Victor, Luther, Me

Are you related ???
Jerry

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 11:12PM GMT
Thanks for your feedback.
Related Yes, but it depends on your definition of the word.
My line is Conrad, Richard, Erastus and Albert H. Dafoe.
Albert is my Great-Grandfather.

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 1:17AM GMT
I guess that makes us cousins. I had Albert H in my data base but nothing more on your line. Is there anything you are missing ? Maybe I can help
Jerry
per page

Find a board about a specific topic