Search for content in message boards

Harmon Franklin Gum b1849

Harmon Franklin Gum b1849

Posted: 11 Jul 2001 4:59PM GMT
Surnames: Gum
Please check for my grandfather in your records.
We have no names for his parents. 1920 Census reports that his parents were from (father) Tennesseand (mother )Kentucky. Harmon was born in Milan, Sullivan Co. Missouri in 1849.

Re: Harmon Franklin Gum b1849

Posted: 19 Jul 2001 3:51AM GMT
Keith: On p. 390 of "Leaves From The Gum Tree", it states:
"The 1888 Sullivan County [KY] History states that Jesse C. Gum was born in 1819 in Tompkinsville, KY, and married Louise McNeese. He died in 1863. He was a captain the Confederate Army. Louise was born in 1822 in TN. Their children were: William, b 1841; Sarah, b 1842; Permelia, b Jan. 1, 1848; HARMON F., b 1849; and Johnm b in 1852. Here again, we see names that make us believe that Jesse was the son of John and Permelia Coyle Gum. One daughter was named for the grandmother, Permelia; one was named Sarah (Sally), and another Nancy, all closely related family names. Jesse at one time was a sheriff in Sullivan County. Louise died at Stockton, Cedar County, MO, and was buried in Walnut Grove Cemetery near Stockton. In 1873, Ivan Gum of CA conacted a John Gum of Los Angeles, who said that his father was Harmon Gum of Long Beach, CA, and Harmon was a son of John J. Gum, a son of Jesse Gum, born in 1819 in KY. Another contributor sent the following info: Permelia Gum, born Jan. 1, 1848, married Humbert McNeese. She died May 15, 1911. Harmon F. (Dick) Gum, born in 1849, married Mahala McNeese, Nov. 19, 1868. John J. (Jeems), born July 16, 1852, married Susan E. Quigley. In 1978, Ralph Gum of Guyman, OK attended a Gum-Ferguson reunion, and told Julia Harland of Frankfort, KS that 2 Gum men had married Ferguson girls, and a Ferguson boy married a Gum girl. His ancestor, Harmon, was born in MO in 1849, and had a brother, John. Harmon F. Gum was married 3 times. First to Louisa Mahala McNeese on Nov. 17, 1868, in MO. The had 2 children: Jesse and Cora. There were 3 children of the 2nd marriage [but no wife name given!]: Richard, Ernest and Bertha. There were 8 children of the 3rd marriage [and again, no wife name]: Cecil (living in 1978), Roy, Eva, Opal, Hazel (living in 1978), Ralph (living in 1978), Woodrow and Carl." I hope this helps! -- Rita Gum Scribner

Posted: 20 Jul 2001 12:37AM GMT
Edited: 31 Jul 2001 4:40PM GMT
Rita, Thanks for the info from the Leaves of the Gum Tree. I had heard of the book last year and never thought that it might contain Harmon Franklin's parent information. Please let me know who you are. I am the youngest son of Carl Lee Gum, Harmon and Lottie's youngest son. I was born in Texas after Carl and Jaunita moved there in 1950. I have recently met other cousins, folks that share Harmon as a grandfather or great grand father.

BTW, I have verified Harmon's marriage to Louisa Mahala McNeese on the Sullivan Mo Web site. There is a marriage licencse record for them. Also, I have seen photocopy of 1920 census that states Harmon's father was born in Tennesse and mother born in Kentucky.... maybe the info was reversed by the census taker, or the one giving the info was inaccurate.

Who are your parents? Is Harmon a grandfather for you too?

Thanks, Keith

Rita Gum Scribner (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 2001 4:45AM GMT
Hello Keith: No, Harmon was not one of mine, but would have been a ggg - well, really great uncle. I'm a descendant of John/Jesse/William/Jesse/Roy - they went from VA to KY to IL, briefly in NE & OK, & then KS. I'm very glad if this info helped - I was a census taker myself one summer in 1980, and it was not as much a no-brainer as I'd expected, and that was a good 100 years later than all the above info. I suspect strongly that your family info is the more accurate, actually. My grandmother and grandfather (Roy Calvin - after Calvin Atterbury, and Beulah Aileen Eagleston) remembered Harmon, as did my aunt Alez (a spelling variation of an old Gum family name - Alce), who is still alive and living in El Dorado, KS - she's about 82 now. I'll look for more info on your line. I have 2 of the "Leaves" book and my sister has one, as well (as do my 2 brothers, but they live nowhere handy - CO and VA), but my mom still stays in touch with the lady who wrote the book, and we were wondering, if we explained the situation, could we get permission to photocopy the book for others - for the price of copying, say? Think this would be a good idea to pursue - have to look into the legality of the whole thing, of course - give input if you have any. Thanks for responding! Oh, and try sending a reply to me at rgum@hotmail. This works faster than my regular email address...

Harmon Franklin Gum b1849 - And Brothers, And Father

Posted: 26 Jul 2001 5:29PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jul 2001 4:40PM GMT
Rita, Thanks for the info. I emailed you at hotmail. Please give the address for author of "Leaves" - I think she might still have printed copies for sale.

Re: Harmon Franklin Gum b1849 - And Brothers, And Father

Posted: 28 Jul 2001 3:14AM GMT
Keith: The last address I have for Muriel Hoffman is:

Posted: 28 Jul 2001 3:15AM GMT
Keith: The last address I have for Muriel Hoffman is:
140 Windsor Park Dr.
Carol Stream, IL 60188

Try that, but I'm going to check with my mom, as they've corresponded as friends over the years, and I thought Muriel had moved to FL some years back. Will update. - Rita

Posted: 28 Nov 2007 4:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
My grandmother, Muriel Hoffman, passed away on November 25, 2007. Anyone wishing to obtain a copy of "Leaves from the Gum Tree" can contact me at chkaser@comcast.net. My family will continue to make them available as we are able to help carry on my grandmother's work.

Sincerely,
Catherine Hoffman Kaser
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions