Search for content in message boards

Harshbarger/Hershberger/Harshberger name in VA

Harshbarger/Hershberger/Harshberger name in VA

Posted: 15 Jul 2000 3:10PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 4:28PM GMT
There is an abundance of Harshbarger's in the state of Virginia. They seem to be found into specific areas. One is in the greater Shenandoah Valley including Shenandoah County, Page County, Rockingham County and Augusta County. This area is rich with Scotch/Irish, Scottish and German descendants. The earliest Harshbargers in this area migrated to Philadelphia down through Frederick County, Maryland into Frederick County, Virginia and settled in Shenandoah County, Virginia. The 1990 Virginia Census listed seven people named Harshbarger (in various spellings. One Christian Hirschberger was listed as having 11 white souls in one dwelling and one extra dwelling. There was also listed a John Hershberger, a John, Isaac, and Frederick Harshbarger a Christian Hersberger and Frederick Herschberger.

In earlier documents concerning Shenandoah County, Virginia there was also listed a Henrich Herschberger. This man came from Germany and 1760. His children were listed as Christian, Elizabeth, Jacob, Anna, John, Henry, Abraham, Christina, Samuel, Daniel, and David Herschberger. Since he died in 1788 it is most likely several of those men listed on the 1790 Census were his sons. A John Hershberger and Isaac Hershberger probably were not directly related to the others. The Christian Hirschberger came from Germany on the ship "St. Andrews" to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on Sept. 9, 1749. I have much more information about the Valley Harshbargers and their descendants. It is easier to answers rather thsn History.

email address

Don Harshbarger (View posts)
Posted: 13 Aug 2000 1:49PM GMT
I have been trying to send you a message, but keep getting it back. Please email me your correct address and I will try again.
Don
ournames@juno.com

Re: Harshbarger/Hershberger/Harshberger name in VA

Posted: 20 Aug 2001 4:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Dec 2001 6:30PM GMT
Surnames: Harshbarger
Yes, there is a lot of Harshbargers in VA, Look at WVA, Milton WVA was founded by David Harshbarger, There is a sign in town that marks Harshbarger corner and tells the story, It sits at the corner of RT.60, across the street from the Harshbarger Mill, I have a picture of it, if anyone wants a copy, e mail me and i will foward one over the net to you, it's cool, has names and dates.

Posted: 18 Oct 2001 3:47AM GMT
Edited: 16 Jan 2002 8:04PM GMT
Surnames: Hershberger
I am doing research on my gg-grandfather John H. Hershberger b. 12-21-1833 in OH(?) d. 03-10-1920 in Hutchinson, KS. His parents were from VA. He married Samatha(?). He had a sister or daughter named Mary Hershberger that married Marcus Dana 04-11-1878 in Wyandot, OH. Do you know of these Hershberger's? Thank you. Jerry oneglass44@yahoo.com

Posted: 23 Nov 2001 4:47PM GMT
Edited: 27 May 2003 6:47PM GMT
I am trying to connect an ancester of mine, John Hershberger/Harshbarger Sr. All I know about him is that he migrated from the Shenandoah Valley, VA sometime before 1814 and ended up in Lanier Township, Preble Co. OH. I don't know when he was born, but he died between 1832 and 1833. I descend from his son Jacob. I hear of many different John's in the Shenandoah area, but can't connect this man. You wrote of a John and Isaac who were both not directly related. Do you know why or know anything more about them? Thank you for your time.

Posted: 24 Dec 2001 11:57PM GMT
Hi Charles: I would certainley love to have a copy of the picture. I have a data base of over 10,000 names relating to Harshbargers which is available to anyone seeking info on that name. Your picture would be a nice asset.
Don Harshbarger
Ournames@juno.com

Posted: 23 Mar 2002 12:22PM GMT
Edited: 8 Nov 2002 12:19PM GMT
hello i was reading about you have pitures i would like to se them , i have some also but i don`t have a scanner just yet

Posted: 23 Mar 2002 7:56PM GMT
Edited: 10 Feb 2003 6:14PM GMT
Tammy,
Hi my name is Charles Harshbarger, Thanks for responding to the reply. I've added an attachment to this message that has what you asked for. Good luck on your search.
Charles.
Attachments:

Posted: 24 Mar 2002 5:16PM GMT
Edited: 8 Nov 2002 12:19PM GMT
Surnames: harshbarger
hello Charles , i was wondering can you send that to my e-mail at Butter376@sssnet.com i tried to open it , it will not do any thing for sorry . Thank you Tammy

Nellie Egan (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 2002 9:29PM GMT
I hope your offer is still good. I would love a copy of the picture. I'm researching the same name, but haven't gotten too far with it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic