Search for content in message boards

Phoebe Male m William Evans, Kingswinford, Staffordshire 1758

Phoebe Male m William Evans, Kingswinford, Staffordshire 1758

Posted: 29 Nov 2010 11:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Evans Male
Phoebe was my 4g-grandmother. Inspired guesswork from some records suggests she was born 1733 or 1734 in Clent, Worcestershire, about 7 miles away from Kingswinford and she died 1786. William Evans would have been involved in the coal and iron industries, possibly a coal owner or merchant, possibly an engineer. There were at least two children, William Evans born 1760 and John Evans born 1761; John moved to S Wales and worked as an engineer at Ebbw Vale, Caerphilly, Dowlais and Nantyglo; he died 1822. But I get ahead of my questions - does anyone have information on the Male family in Kingswinford and Clent?

Thanks in advance

Re: Phoebe Male m William Evans, Kingswinford, Staffordshire 1758

Posted: 4 Apr 2011 1:49PM GMT
Hello Graham

Maybe not much use to you, but here goes. In the new FamilySearch site, there is a Phoebe Maile (sic) baptised Sep 1733 Clent, with mother's name showing as Elizabeth Maile i.e. looks as though born out of wedlock.

I've had a look for a likely Elizabeth Male or Maile born in a likely age range in Clent or close by and came up with an Elizabeth Male baptised 20 Feb 1703 Pedmore, Worcestershire which is 2 miles away. The parents are shown as Edwad (sic) Male and Theodosia. This looks to be Theodosia Richards and that marriage took place 11 Nov 1703 — Chaddesley Corbett,Worcestershire - all these places in reasonable distance genealogically speaking to Kingswinford.

I have a large number of links with Kingswinford, although as yet, none includes Phoebe and/or her mother/grandparents.

Dave

Posted: 4 Apr 2011 2:55PM GMT
Hi Dave - many many thanks, every small snippet of info helps to build things up. I'm reading up on the history of the iron trade in S Wales and in Merthyr Tydfil in particular to get the background sorted out. John Evans' son, also John Evans, became manager of the Dowlais Iron Works - later to be come part of GKN; John Jr's brother Thomas was in modern terms the sales manager, travelling as far as St Petersburg to sell iron rails.

Really grateful for your help.

Graham

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 11:18PM GMT
Surnames: Male and Loynes
I doubt any connection with your relative but my father-in-law's mother Elizabeth Male was born in Kingswinford about 18 60. She married Richard Loynes . She owned an inn called The Wharf on a canal branch nearby and I was given to understand that she was "county gentry"
per page

Find a board about a specific topic