Search for content in message boards

MINING ACCIDENTS PENNSYLVANIA

MINING ACCIDENTS PENNSYLVANIA

Posted: 9 Sep 2012 2:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: COLAIZZI (ALL SPELLINGS), TEMPESTA, DEPONTI, DONATELLI
ANTONIO COLAIZZI, born Dec 19, 1859, L'Aquila, Abruzzo, Sulmona, Italy. Parents: Giovanni Colaizzi and Maria Antonia Donatelli. Married: Carolina Julia Tempesta, March 1885 in L'Aquila. (Date figured from birth of first born.). First born: Emmet 'Amico' Colaizzi, born Jan 6, 1886 in L'Aquila. He came to USA with his mother arriving in NY Sep 24, 1890 via SS California. Do not know when Antonio Colaizzi died, but family firmly say he died in a mining accident in PA. Looking at all the other facts, I presume he died in the year 1890. Here is why I speculate that year. His son was born in 1886 in Italy. He and his mother came to USA without Antonio in Sep 1890. She must have been "with child" because their daughter, Maria Antonia, was born Dec 18, 1890. (Per family notes.) Carolina, mother to Emmett and Maria, now widowed, remarried in St. Paul, MN, on Jan 5, 1891, to Raffaeal DePonti. So, unless there was an immaculate conception of some sort, I further speculate, Antonio Colaizzi returned to Italy at some point. Then, he came back to USA prior to Sept 1890 and died before Jan 1891. Our family has been trying for years to pin down Antonio's death date and place. Please contact me if you have any further ideas or information. Thanks. Karen Foster Montgomery, rkmontg342@aol.com

Re: MINING ACCIDENTS PENNSYLVANIA

Posted: 10 Sep 2012 1:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: COLAIZZI
Karen,

Below is the related data that I found for Pennsylvania Mining Accidents 1869-1918:

Date of Accident / Name of Person / Age / Name of Mine (Town) / F=Fatal or N=Nonfatal / Page & Reference Source / County

1914DEC12 Donatello, Zopito Antonio 44 St.CLAIR F 547 60a Schuylkill
1891AUG18 DOMENDI, DOMONIC BUNOIA F 312 57 (was married)
1891AUG18 DOMENDIO, DOMONIC BUNOLA F 303 57

On August 18, Domonic Domendio, a miner, employed in the Bunola mines, while taking down slate was struck by a piece of it on the right leg, injuring the member in such a manner that an amputation was performed, but the shock to the system at the time of the accident wcs toogreat, as he died some four weeks after being injured. He leaves a wife and three children.

If any of the above are of interest to you, get back with me. I do have a little more information about these specific accidents.

From Jerry,
http://www.genealogy.com/users/s/h/e/Jerry-Sherard/ “Mining Accidents U.S., Canada, New Zealand and Australia”
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions