Search for content in message boards

Sylvester Poff/Johannah Murphy married early 1800 Co. Kerry

Sylvester Poff/Johannah Murphy married early 1800 Co. Kerry

Posted: 14 Feb 2008 4:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Murphy/Poff
Looking for any info on Sylvester Poff and Johannah Murphy. Looking for a Johannah whose father was Wm. Murphy. Mother listed only as Mgt (Margaret?) Johanna would have been born/christened 1827. They were from Clonmellane (Townland) County Kerry. On 3 Nov 2003 there was a posting re Sylvester & Johannah entered by dclab@adelphia.net. Tried to contact but no luck.

Re: Sylvester Poff/Johannah Murphy married early 1800 Co. Kerry

Posted: 21 Mar 2008 6:13AM GMT
Surnames: Murphy Poff
Have just posted a note onto another of your queries. Johannah Murphy and Sylvester Poff are my great-great-great grandparents.I have no marriage dates for them or information other than one of their children was baptised William Murphy Poff and he later married Mary Barrett at Currow.
Contact me in person if it would help you. jddowgray@yahoo.co.nz
Dorothy

Posted: 26 Mar 2008 9:58PM GMT
Surnames: Poff
I have come across headstones with the name Poff on them in Ballyseedy Cemetery,out Tralee

Posted: 27 Mar 2008 4:06AM GMT
Surnames: Poff, Murphy, Brosnahan,Sugrue
Do you by any chance have a copy/record of what was written on those headstones? The Poff families were tenant farmers on the Blennerhasett estates around Ballymacelligot and Ballyseedy.Any headstone information sharing would be welcome.
Thank you.

Posted: 27 Mar 2008 1:04PM GMT
List of Poffs currently living in Kerry:

Poff, Alan

Dromin Miltown

(066)9761707
Poff, Ernie

Knockbrack Upr Knocknagoshel Co. Kerry

(068)46236
Poff, Florrie

Hilltop Hse Laharn Killorglin Co. Kerry

(066)9762995
Poff, Geo

30 Lohercannon Tralee

(066)7123470
Poff, Geo Wm

25 St James Gdns Killorglin

(066)9761586
Poff, Herbert

Reeks vw Killorglin

(066)9761487
Poff, J

Roughty Bridge Kenmare Co. Kerry

(064)40821
Poff, Peter

Beechmount Kenmare

(064)41001
Poff, Peter

13 Carraig an Duin Milltown Killarney Co. Kerry

(066)9765057
Poff, Richd T

Ballymacelligott

(066)7137274

Posted: 27 Mar 2008 1:13PM GMT
I am staying in Ballyseedy Castle 4/6th April. if someone would direct me to the particular graveyard, I will photograph the headstones. Were they catholic or Protestant. There was a Poff executed during the fenian rising.

Brendan

Posted: 27 Mar 2008 5:28PM GMT
Surnames: Poff
Well ,If you are going to be staying at Ballyseedy,you will be able to walk down the road ,towards it.Originally the old Cemetery was Protestant,but over time Catholics were buried there as well.There is a nice little church in the newer part,though I was'nt ever in it.As far as I know there are still services there on Sundays.
There are a lot of old headstones there,as I once helped a lady looking for Blennerhassetts,and West graves.I remember coming across Morphy,as well,not Murphy.I hope you get nice weather for your stay,good luck.I am only 20 miles from Tralee.Angela.

Posted: 28 Mar 2008 12:51PM GMT
Hi Angela,

My sister Geraldine lives in Killarney, My grand uncle was parish priest of Ballymacelligott. I have a copy of the Blennerhassett pedigree (42MB), I think the West you are talking about was born in Cahirciveen, where my dad was born.

Brendan

Posted: 28 Mar 2008 9:36PM GMT
Re Ballyseedy. I am descendant of Blennerhassetts who owned Ballyseedy until it was turned in to public lodging. I have many relatives buried in the Ballyseedy cemetery. Yes, my gr grandfather, George Morphy, is buried there. Until the 1901 census he went by name Murphy. On 1901 Census all members are listed as Morphy.
Re the Johanna Murphy I'm seeking. This would be a sister to my gr grandfather, George Morphy. She was christened 10/6/1827. Her father was William Murphy and she was from Clounmelane (spelled many ways).
Thanks for the list of Poff's in the area.

Posted: 28 Mar 2008 10:36PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jan 2009 5:06PM GMT
Surnames: Blennerhassett,Morphy
Brendan,I suppose you got the Blennerhassett family tree from the Windmill visitor centre in Blennerville!It is fantastic to see the large pedigree chart near the main entrance.I am assuming that you are familiar with it,and if not it is well worth a visit.
Re my other reply,I am glad that I remembered seeing Morphy,that had changed to Murphy over time.The older cemetery in Ballyseedy was very rough the last time I was there,uneven ground.I think I also went to the cemetery in Ballymac,the road I took went over a railway track, but I think there was an easier way there,from the Castleisland side.(This was a couple of years ago)Angela.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions