Search for content in message boards

London Prison Records

London Prison Records

Posted: 1 Nov 2012 4:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Need Help

Can anyone tell me how to find a prison record from between 1926 and 1960. I am led to believe this person may have gone to prison in London for Perjury after a divorce case in 1926.

Thanks Linda

Re: London Prison Records

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 1:49PM GMT
The first thing is to find which prison if you don't already know it. After trial calendars (lists) of prisoners are held at The National Archive at Kew in series HO 140. Do you know in which county the trial/offence took place? The calendars are arranged by year, then by county, so if you don't know this, you might have a long search! :-) See TNA website http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details?Ur...
Once you know the prison, the records for individual prisons are also held mostly at TNA, although some may be held with the local county archives, depending on dates. Be prepared for the fact that prison record survival is sometimes patchy! :-)

Re: London Prison Records

Posted: 20 Dec 2012 4:56PM GMT
HI

Thanks for your help . The offence took placein Kennington I believe. I have his name only rumours to go on. He seemsto have disapeared from electoral registers for a while so will have a look where you said .

thanks again

Linda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions