Old Cooper Cemetery-Knotts Island

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 11:42PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Simpson
This post was deleted by the author on 2 Apr 2013 10:37PM GMT

Re: Old Cooper Cemetery-Knotts Island

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 12:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
This is most unfortunate. Old Cooper Cemetery contains at least 65 graves and is heavily overgrown. Much of it is inaccessible. However, we have been in there a number of times and spent some effort to clear portions of it. Perhaps if you had been in touch w/someone from the local area, they could have assisted you in getting in there. We continue to hope we can get enough interest in getting it cleared and keeping it maintained. Have you been there before? The Currituck County, NC Cemetery Records Book lists 5 Simpson graves in Old Cooper Cem. (there may be more)You would need to know exactly where they are due to the density. Please respond and I will try to help you if possible. Arlene

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 12:49AM GMT
It is my understanding that if you are related to someone buried in that cemetery you have the right to visit them. Check out this site: http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/property/2006/03/grave_matt...

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 1:09AM GMT
That was our 1st trip to Knotts Island, and we did met some good people there who gave us some web sites to go to. We did see the cemetery from the other side of a fence & could see how overgrown it was.

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 10:48PM GMT
While it is true that you have the right to go into a cemetery on private property if you have relatives, it is also true that the landowner can order you off and in that case you must go to the Clerk of Court and have them set up a day and time for you to visit the cemetery. For those who live near by you can also check to see if the Cemetery was exempted from the deed at ANY TIME once the Cemetery has been exempted from a deed no matter how old, then the cemetery does not convey with the property no matter how many times it gets sold. Trust me my friend and I ran into this while photographing Cemeteries for Currituck and even though the property had been exempted from the deed we still had the police called on us and to keep peace the Clerk of Court wanted us to make an appointment even though legally we had a right to go on the porperty. If it is exempted from the deed anyone can go on the property not just relatives.

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 1:22PM GMT
holly, I did not tell you that you could not go to the cemetery. I told you the road you would have to go on was private and you could go to the mans house and tell him why you wanted to park on his land. The cemetery is not on his land but the road was. I hope you could open the pictures of the tombstones that sent you on the CD.

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 8:00PM GMT
Just got the CD today. Thank you & yes I was able to see the markers. How wonderful!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions