Search for content in message boards

Franklin County "Singing Sheriffs"

Franklin County "Singing Sheriffs"

Posted: 23 Apr 2005 5:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for information about this singing group whose members were sheriff's deputies. I have a photograph and a short article that appeared in "The Sheriff's Review" in 1930, which lists the members as Robert Willison, Billy Everett, Orland Everett, and Hal Chenoweth; Jack Everett is mentioned as a former member. I believe the Everett's are uncles/cousins of my father. I would like more information about the group and its history.

Thank you,
Linda Everett Hayden

Re: Franklin County "Singing Sheriffs"

Posted: 27 Jan 2011 3:18AM GMT
Surnames: Everett
Hello :) I am sorry that I do not have any information about the Singing Sheriffs. I would really like to talk with you about the Everett family if posssible. I believe Billy is my Grandfather and Orland was my Uncle. My father is Bruce Terrance Everett and I am searching for any kind of information on him or his family. I would like to find him if possible. I would appreciate any information you can provide and would enjoy talking with you :) Donna

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 3:24PM GMT
Donna,

It is nice to hear from you--I don't know my Everett cousins, and you are likely one of them.

I'm undergoing a switch in my computer, so at the moment I don't have access to all my family files. I don't believe I have any information on Bruce Terrance Everett, but I'll try to confirm that and let you know as soon as possible.

Here is a little bit of my family history, just to help us make sure we're from the same Everett line:

I grew up near Columbus, Ohio, where my father's family had settled in the early 1900s after following the glass-making industry from (West) Virginia, to Texas, to Indiana, and then to Columbus.

My father and his direct ancestors:
James Thomas Everett (b. 1924, Columbus, Ohio)
Floyd C. Everett (b. 1901, Dunkirk, Indiana)
James Henry Everett (b. 1879, Steubenville, Ohio)
John Clarence Everett (b. 1853, (West) Virginia)
John B. Everett (b. 1820, (West) Virginia)
Joshua Everett (b. abt 1780, Maryland)

I hope this is a little bit useful to you.

Linda Everett Hayden

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 2:55AM GMT
Surnames: Everett
Linda,
I have been trying to get information on the Singing Sheriffs too. The Everetts in the group were my father's uncles. James Henry Everett was my grandfather, who died when my dad, James Edward Everett was 16. I would love to see the photograph and the article that you have.

Thank you so much,
Gerald James Everett

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 11:56AM GMT
Hello, Cousin!

James Henry Everett was my great grandfather>
His son Floyd>
My father James Thomas (named partly for James Henry)>
Me Linda Everett Hayden.

I don't know that I ever met your father, but I can remember growing up that my parents spoke often of "Uncle Jim." He was only a little older than my father and I think they were close at one time.

I'm so excited to make contact with someone from this family. Over the years I've been able to compile a lot of information about them, but I have very little first hand knowledge, since Floyd Everett died young; actually about the same time that James Henry died. I will be happy to share the photo with you--maybe you can help me sort out all the people. I've gotten a little confused with all the William/Billy/John/Jack names in the family. And I hope you will share family stories with me.

I will be visiting my parents this weekend; I'll see if they remember you--I may have some stories myself after I talk to them.

Linda

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 7:34PM GMT
Lynda,

It is great making a connection with you. My sister was out visiting last week, and we had been talking with our mother, Alta Everett, who is 94, about the "Singing Sheriffs". We were really excited to find your posts. Mother said that your father was called "baby Jim". I have an old photo of James Henry Hartly Everett seated in front of his adult sons that I can share with you. I have never used Ancestry.com before, and don't know how to send the photo. I suppose you could "friend me" on Facebook and we could exchange e-mals in a more private manner.

The Singing Serriffs had tried to get my dad to join them, but his mother (my grandmother) wouldn't let him. I don't know how old he was at the time.

My mother said that one of the Singing Sheriffs (she wasn't sure which one) was married to a local celebrity whos stage name was Sally Flowers. I found one of Sally's recodings on you tube, and some other information about her on-line. She was on the TV show "Bowling for Dollars."

My father had a sister Gladys that married George Tanner. They lived in Columbus not far from us. Their two children were the only cousins on the Everett side of the family that I ever knew. We were very close growing up. They still live in the Columbus area, and I'm sure they would be tickled to meet you.

My father was a minister at the Bellows Ave. Church of the Nazarene and had a TV show called "the Singing Pastor" for many years. I think it was on channel 7.

I am looking forward to to sharing more informatin with you.

Gerald Everett

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 11:28AM GMT
Gerald,

Just a quick note to let you know how much I appreciate the info from you and your mother. (I, too, have heard the Sally Flowers story, but have not been able to confirm the connection.)

It will probably be the weekend before I can give a more complete reply, but I do have a lot to share. Unfortunately, I don't have any more "singing sheriffs" information, but I will scan the picture and send it to you. Let me know how interested you are in the family genealogy. I have a reasonably well documented family tree going back to about 1800.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 3:15PM GMT
Linda,

I am very interested in family geneology and look forward to hearing from you this weekend.

Gerald

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 4:41PM GMT
Hello Gerald and Linda! I had talked earlier with Linda and she is a ton of help! I am also a Everett, My father was Bruce Everett who is the son of John William and brother of Orland Everett... from what I can tell. I have never met my father and would love to know if anyone knew him or even knows if he is still living. I have gathered my information from his birth certificate and the census and would love to talk or e-mail anyone with first hand knowledge!

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 10:04PM GMT
Donna,
I mentioned Orland Everett to my mother - she said the name sounded familiar. She has some geneology information written down somewhere. I just moved her out here to Colorado to be close to me, so I need to sort through her boxes to try to find it.

Gerald Everett
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions