Search for content in message boards

plantations on IOW 1700

plantations on IOW 1700

Posted: 30 Mar 2012 3:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone have any information on a plantation called Long Swamp. James and Alice Forrest deeded it to their son John who sells it to John Perrin. I need more info on this please.

Re: plantations on IOW 1700

Posted: 30 Mar 2012 7:45PM GMT
Surnames: FORREST, PERRIN, EVANS
It looks as if the property changed hands a few times, originally granted to Thos. Perrin of my family who probably built the plantation. In case you haven't seen these deeds....Debbie

"140 acres formerly granted to Thomas Perrin and by him deserted and since granted to said Charles Evans 19 Oct 1704......Charles Evans of Charles City for 20 shillings and 200 lbs tobacco to John Perrin of Henrico, SON OF ANN PERRIN 140 acres bounded in patent to Thomas Perrin 20 Oct 1688. Recorded 1 Apr 1707....."

Deed #8

John FORREST of Varina Parish, Henrico County, for 30 lbs to John PERRIN of same, planter, 50
acres, being the southern most half of 100 acres given to me by my parents, James and Alice
FORREST of same parish and county; being part of a plantation called "Long Swamp" on south side
of James River, bounded by the river, widow Anne PERRIN, and Samuel GOODE. 2 Dec 1706
Wit: Leonard Ballow, C. Evans
Recorded 2 Dec 1706

Deed #9

John PERRIN of Varina Parish, Henrico County, for 30 lbs, to John FORREST of same, planter, 50
acres, being part of plantation known as "Long Swamp:, devised to my brother Richard PERRIN,
late departed, by will of Richard PIERCE, sometime of said county, and to me desceded by my
brother, bounded by John Stewart, James River, and Samuel Goode.
Dated 2 Dec 1706.
Wit: Leonard Ballow, C. Evans
Recorded 2 Dec 1706

Source :Henrico County Virginia - Deeds & Wills, 1706-1845 submitted to UsGenWeb by Patty B. White

Posted: 30 Mar 2012 8:24PM GMT
Surnames: Forrester
Debbie,
I have seen these deeds, what I want to know is-where exactly is it and before 1704 how did it transfer. I have been following these Forrester's in reverse and have come very close to untangling a complicated web that gets all tangled up in Orange County NC @ 1755(formerly Dobson, Johnston etc.. )It seems info has been copied and pasted for the heck of it but never are there two documents to say it is so.(which it might be) I am pretty sure I am on the right trail because I am only looking at migration patterns that are validated with wills, deeds, etc...and I am trying to find the specific gentlemen Forrester who crossed the pond. There are discrepancies with names/dates and while there were quite a many Forrester's settled in and around the area including the one in Jamestown settlement very early on...I am looking for the next connecting dot, which is Long Swamp, based on what I have. My Dad has agreed to Dna testing and I'll use that to support or not support the info I have already gathered. Any info you have could help. Thanks bunches for taking the time to reply :-)

Posted: 31 Mar 2012 1:31AM GMT
Surnames: FORRESTER, FOREST, LIGON, PERRIN
I would think your Forrest or Forrester family would at least be related somehow to Anne Forrest who married Samuel Perrin and lived in VA. Samuel died circa 1701. Their son, Joseph married Rebecca, the dau of Col. Thomas Ligon. As you probably know, when names are found together in deeds there is often an earlier marriage between the surnames. The Ligons and Perrins were from england so possibly so were your Forresters. Good luck with all. Debbie

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 6:09AM GMT
Surnames: Perrin Ligon
How do we know that Rebecca's maiden was Ligon and that she is Thomas Ligon's daughter? I have been unable to verify this.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions