Search for content in message boards

laptop for genealogy research

laptop for genealogy research

Posted: 10 Mar 2010 1:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Mar 2010 1:47PM GMT
Wanting to get some advice. I am looking at buying a laptop for my genealogy research. It would be easier than lugging all my copies around to different facilities. Does anyone have a suggestion as to which one is the best for genealogy research.

Re: question

Posted: 10 Mar 2010 12:47PM GMT
The Brand doesn't matter so much.
What will make a difference is:
How much memory (RAM) you have.
How big is the hard drive.
What genealogy program will you be using.

Re: laptop for genealogy research

Posted: 11 Mar 2010 3:19AM GMT
AGHatchett3rd is right. If you are not familiar with Dick Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter, you might check it out. There is a "plus" version for subscribers, but also a free version. Dick often talks about computers, technology, genealogy programs, etc. and may have useful advice. You can search past issues at http://blog.eogn.com/

Posted: 11 Mar 2010 4:13AM GMT
Love my laptop for taking with me while doing research. The other thing that you need to consider is size. A netbook would be easy to carry, however the screen is small. My laptop is a 15.4 and there are days when I think it is too heavy, however the screen is a decent size for viewing a family or individual. Its my opinion that a 17" would be too heavy to carry to the library or courthouse.

You need to look at battery life, too, as some facilities do not allow you you to plug in your computer.

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 3:37PM GMT
I have both a netbook and a full size laptop. I find myself grabbing the netbook more often than the other. My netbook weighs about 1.0 lbs and my laptop weighs 7 lbs. I use both for genealogy but I like to take the netbook for travel.

Posted: 26 Mar 2010 1:45PM GMT
It all depends on what you want in a laptop. Do you need internet capabilities? Are you going to need a large hard drive for all the files? Battery life is a consideration, depending on if you are able to plug into an outlet where you are at. And mostly, how much do you want to spend. I bought a Sony Vaio for different reasons, however, I do take it with me to the FHC when I do research.

If you can, you may want to install your genealogy software on a flash drive to take with you instead. I use RootsMagic, and they actually have a portability option to transfer files and install the software on a flash drive. Makes it very convenient for me sometimes.

Any way you look at it, it all comes down to personal preference for what you need and want. Surf the web at sites like Bestbuy.com, TigerDirect.com and NewEgg.com to see the difference in pricing and options.

Hope this helps!

Posted: 11 May 2010 7:47PM GMT
I have the HP and love it. I take it every where with me and also dont know where you are but we have a battery store here so I went and bought a back up battery for my laptop because most places I go will not allow plug ins.
Mine is the large screen and yes, its a bit heavy but I just put it in a bag and tug it along with me. Has tons of memory.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic