Search for content in message boards

Look Up on Outgoing/Imcoming Passenger lists

Look Up on Outgoing/Imcoming Passenger lists

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 3:31PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Warden
Hi, Can anyone help me with a look up on the incoming and outgoing passenger lists 1878-1960 please?

My Aunt & Uncle lived/worked in Hong Kong before and during WW2, but travelled back to the UK periodically. I've found them on the above lists, but don't have access to the details. They are Ernest Thomas & Jessie Warden, probably travelling with their 2 children - found 2 on Outward to Hong Kong & 2 on Inward to London, also found 1 for Mrs J Warden on UK incoming from Sydney Australia to London, not sure what info is on there, but I would like to know the dates of travel etc. so I can fill in some gaps.....

Many thanks to anyone who can help, Carole

Re: Look Up on Outgoing/Imcoming Passenger lists

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 7:38PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Jessie Warden
Carole

Was your Aunt named Jessie W Warden, a teacher?

Sue Thompson, Liverpool

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 8:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Sue,

No, she was just Jessie. I don't think she worked, it was her husband Ernest Thomas Warden who worked in Hong Kong.

Carole

WARDEN, Passenger lists

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 8:19PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: WARDEN
Name: Ernest T Warden
2ND CLASS
REVENUE OFFICER
Birth Date: abt 1901
Port of Departure: Yokohama, Japan
Arrival Date: 8 Feb 1929
Port of Arrival: London, England
Ports of Voyage: Shanghai
[Bombay]
[Plymouth]
Ship Name: Mantua
GOING TO 13 PENPOLE ROAD, HACKNEY
(ON HIS OWN)

Name: Ernest T Warden
REVENUE OFFICER
2ND CLASS
Birth Date: abt 1901
Port of Departure: Rangoon, Burma
Arrival Date: 2 Feb 1934
Port of Arrival: London, England
Ports of Voyage: Colombo
Ship Name: Naldera
GOING TO 13 PENPOLL ROAD, HACKNET
(ON HIS OWN)

WARDEN, Passenger lists

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 8:25PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: WARDEN
Name: E T WARDEN
Date of departure: 18 September 1934
Port of departure: London
Passenger destination port: Hong Kong, China
Passenger destination: Hong Kong, China
Date of Birth:
Sex: Male
SHIP: CHITRAL
WITH
MRS WARDEN
+
MISS WARDEN 4

Name: E T WARDEN
Date of departure: 11 December 1939
Port of departure: Southampton
Passenger destination port: Hong Kong, China
Passenger destination: Hong Kong, China
Date of Birth:
Sex: Male
SHIP: STRATHEDEN
+
MRS WARDEN
+
CHILD WARDEN 9
+
CHILD WALDEN 3

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 12:48AM GMT
Your relatives may well have worked in Hong Kong before WW2 and possibly up to 1941, but the colony was surrendered to the Japanese in December 1941 and any "hostile foreigners" - Brits or otherwise - would have been put in internment camps and were certainly not working/living in any ordinary sense of the word. In 1945, those that survived were re-patriated and would have been put on whatever ship was available. Some people did escape the Japanese invasion and ended up in Australia so it is possible that Mrs J. Warden was one of those, but as you give no firm dates it is not possible to make a closer suggestion.

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 11:11AM GMT
Thanks for your reply/info. My uncle was a POW in Hong Kong, although I don't know where & my Aunt did go to Australia. Unfortunately I don't have any dates that is why I am trying to find out a bit more about their movements from the passenger lists.

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 12:17PM GMT
I think a bit of googling would help here. If your uncle was a POW why not start by searching POW records from 1941-1945? It could not be any other dates. Assuming your aunt landed up in Australia because she had fled the Japanese invasion there is hardly likely to be a passenger list for a ship crowded with refugees fleeing from the enemy. Again the date has to be 1941-42. However I would have thought there should be a list of such people if they landed in Australia - what about "Refugees from Hong Kong/Japanese in Australia" - endless variations on such a theme - could throw up something. Generally speaking "passenger lists" are more likely to record leisurely routine runs.

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 3:09PM GMT
Thanks for that, I'll give google a try and see what it throws up.

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 1:57PM GMT
Surnames: Fyfe,Wilkie
I too have had a problem with outgoing and incoming passengers .My late Aunt and Uncle went to the U.S,1947/8 and I can find no record of them arriving .I know they did as they lived in Newark, New Jersey in ???? Mount Prospect Avenue.I know my late Uncle had a bit of a hush hush job at some point ,perhaps that's why I can find very little record of them at all.His name was George Kinloch Fyfe and her name was Edith Fyfe as far as I know they married in Scotland between 1947/8 and moved to the U.S until 1962.trying to find either their entry or exit is impossible and I have been digging for ages.He did live in the US before he came back to the UK to get married and also served during WW1 in I believe a tank regiment,but was in the US in 1943 at Fort dix I think Their lives were so sketchy though I would be grateful for any info on them at all.I thought all entrance and exits to the US were recorded but I certainly can't find theirs A real mystery
per page

Find a board about a specific topic