Search for content in message boards

Posted: 20 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Nov 2005 6:15PM GMT
Am looking for information on my great grandfather and/or great grandmother. Thomas M. CORNELIUS, b. ca.1800 - 1850 in Unknown. I have a picture of him at age 73 (unknown date) done at JacksonÂ’s in Franklin, Venango Co., PA. He married Mary Jane REYNOLDS. I have no information on her. Their children are as follows:

Alice CORNELIUS m. Lewis CARTER (She resided in Franklin, Venango Co.,PA at time of James Crawford CORNELIUSÂ’s (her brotherÂ’s) death in 1929. 7 children: Laura CARTER, Jimmy CARTER and ??

Emma CORNELIUS m. Dave HILL (She resided in Parkerton, WY at time of James Crawford CORNELIUSÂ’s (her brother) death in 1929. 2 children: Leola HILL m. Ben Silvers and ??

Scott CORNELIUS m. Stella UNKNOWN (He resided in Breckinridge, MI at time of James Crawford CORNELIUSÂ’S death in 1929. 1 son: Scott CORNELIUS.

John CORNELIUS m. Maggie DUESSER (am not sure of spelling). No mention of him in the 1929 obit. My mother (Alberta, see below) referred to him as Uncle John and I have a very large portrait of him. 2 children: Lee CORNELIUS, and Virginia CORNELIUS (moved to Hollywood, CA)

James Crawford CORNELIUS b. 1/17/1874 nr Salinas, PA (maybe Solona – could be a misprint in the obit); d. 1929 Tulsa, OK; m Alma Ethel MILLS. 3 daughters: Berdell CORNELIUS (m. Ralph W. WALLINGFORD of Sands Springs, OK), Nelesene CORNELIUS and Nondis CORNELIUS. This was from the obit appearing in the Nowata, Oklahoma Daily.

Ida Jane CORNELIUS m 1894 James Burton HASLETT (son of Peter Grove HASLETT of Venango Co., PA) b. 5/26/1870 or 1876 in Venango Co., PA, died 1921. 5 children were as follows:
(1)Forrest Elsworth HASLETT b. 9/5/1895 in Franklin, Venango Co., PA, d. 11/11/1918 Base Hospital #35, Mars, France. (2)Wildred Raydell HASLETT b. 7/24/1898 Franklin, Venango Co., PA, d. 9/1986 in Yorba Linda, CA, m. Ralph W. NEWTON. I think he was from the Venango Co. area. Their children: Mary Jane NEWTON, John Haslett NEWTON and Louise NEWTON. (3)Alberta Cecil HASLETT b. 5/5/1901 Franklin, Venango Co., PA, d. 10/21/1986 in Houston, Harris Co., TX m. John Glenn De GOOD 9/20/1926 in Independence, Jackson Co., Mo. Their children: Martha Jane De GOOD, Sandra Ann De GOOD and John Glenn De GOOD. Alberta was my Mom. (4)Grove Cornelius HASLETT b. 2/19/1905 in Franklin, Venango Co., PA, d. 5/1981 in Nevada, Vernon Co., MO m. Mildred Lorene COMPTON 7/2/1925 in Nevada, Vernon Co., MO. Their son: James Compton HASLETT. (5)Gerald William HASLETT b. 5/8/1908 in Franklin, Venango Co., PA, d 9/3/1995 Springfield, Greene Co., MO, m. Nellie SANDERS (or Saunders) 1926. 4 children: Linda HASLETT, Gail HASLETT, Jerry HASLETT and a stillbirth..

Unknown CORNELIUS m. Harry DeWOODY. She resided in Franklin, PA at the time of her brotherÂ’s (James Crawford CORNELIUS) death notice.

Any information surely would be appreciated. I got most of the information on the Cornelius family from notes Mom made for a grandchildÂ’s school project and two obits, James CrawfordÂ’s and Ida JaneÂ’s.

CORNELIUS 1800s - Updated

Posted: 30 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Nov 2005 6:15PM GMT
Updated information of the Cornelius family:

The wife of Thomas M. Cornelius (b. abt. 1824, d.2/12/1900 Jackson Twp., Venango Co., PA.) was Louisa A. WOOD (b. 11/1/1834 in Beaver Co., PA; d. 7/19/1899 in Cooperstown, Vanango Co., PA. Her family were shown on 1850 Census of Worth Twp, Mercer Co., PA as follows: Samuel Wood, age 53, farmer; Jane, wife, age 51, Wm., age 23, cooper; Mary, age 22, Louisa, age 16 and Angeline, age 14.

The 1870 Census for Canal Township, Venango Co. shows:
Thomas, age 46, day laborer, Louisa age 34, Wesley age 13, Scott age 11, John age 9, Emaline age 4, and Ida age 1.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone researching the Wood or Cornelius families. Sandy

Posted: 26 Oct 2001 3:33PM GMT
Surnames: Cornelius, Sloan
I have a Sarah Ann "Sallie" Cornelius that married my Thomas M.C. Sloan. They lived in Harmony Twp (Venango Co. 1860 / Forest Co 1870) Sarah was apparently b: Abt 1818 in New York as well as her younger Bro John and her supposed mother "Annie" living w/John and family next door to Sarah and Thomas in the 1870 Forest Co, Harmony Twp census, pg. 25. Since you have a lot of "Cornelius" information does any of what I have match up or ring any bells with you? I've taken this information off several census's so there could be errors in just about any/everything.

Posted: 20 Feb 2008 9:54PM GMT
I can't help you with the Cornelius side,but I can clean up one area of it. Alice Cornelius married (Louis) Carter. Their (8) children were Laura, John, Eugene, Sarah, Charles, Bertha, Lewis, and Russell. Louis & Alice Carter were my great grandparents. I am currently stuck at them in my family research. Good luck with yours.

Posted: 21 Feb 2008 2:14AM GMT
Surnames: Cornelius, Carter
Are you researching the Carters? I now have additional information on the Cornelius family. On the Carters I only have Louis's parents as John Werley (sp?) Carter and Sarah A. Carter from the 1870 and 1880 Census. Do you have the name of Alice's second husband? I show Jess Lombard but nothing more and no date of death/place of death for Alice. I would be happy to share.

As an aside, Alice and Louis - on the 1910 Census - show they had had 6 children, only 5 living at that time. So, they actually had 9 children.

Posted: 9 Mar 2008 9:08PM GMT
Yes, I am researching the Carters. I'm not having much luck either. I would appriciate anything you have on my Grandma Alice. I had heard she re-married after Grandpa Lewis died, but she's buried beside him with the same head stone. Curious. Something else I have cleared up. Whoever did the census reports didn't spell his name right. It was Lewis Wesley Carter, son of Thomas Wesley and Sarah unknown last name. Lewis had a twin sister Lois.
As for the Lewis Carter children:
Harry (died at birth)
Laura Ann (Kuhns)
John Wesley
Eugene Wilbur
Sarah Ann (Hayes)
Charles Willard
Lois (died age 3)
Bertha M (Battin)
Lewis Wesley Jr
Russell Wayne (my grandfather)
Good luck, and keep in touch.

Posted: 14 Mar 2008 5:06PM GMT
Surnames: battin Carter
Which Battin did Bartha Carter marry? I have the Venango Bttins but not her.

Posted: 18 Mar 2008 7:26PM GMT
Bertha M. Carter (Battin) married Frank Norman Battin. They had no children, but Frank had 3 adult children from a previous marriage.
Frank died 1973
Bertha died 1987

Posted: 7 Sep 2010 2:31PM GMT
I have a Lewis/Louis Carter who had a twin sister Lucy. Their parents were Thomas Roy Carter and Catherine Jury. This sounds oddly familiar. Thomas and Catherine were born in PA. They both lived in Venango County for a time. Lewis/Louis was born about 1872 in Ohio. They lived for some time in Michigan and moved back to Ohio. Thomas also had a daughter Sarah Sophia Carter to his first wife Hannah Aga/Ague.

Posted: 7 Sep 2010 3:13PM GMT
The obituary for Lewis Wesley Carter appeared on 27 Sep 1939, p5,c6. of the Venango Citizen Press. [This transcription was from the library]

CARTER, Lewis Wesley 63, 528 Pacific, a res of Fkl 19 yrs. B at Galloway 3 Aug 1876. M Miss Alice Cornelius 22 Nov 1899 & lived six yrs in Farrell, returned to Dempseytn area until 1915 when moved to Fkl. Wf survives & ch: Mrs BM Kuhns, Mdville; Eugene, Fkl; Mrs Wm Hayes & Chas Carter, Lansing MI; Mrs Theodore Adams, Raymilton; Lewis W Jr & Russell at home. Siblings: Thos, Cherrytree; Mrs Melissa Peeples Titusville; Mrs Mary Lowrey, Salina CA; Domer, Galloway; [Then in longhand added later] Mrs Elmer Groover, E Aurora NY; Mrs. Clair Shavorer, Youngstown OH, vcp Oct 4.

I am unsure of the spelling of Clair's married name.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic