Search for content in message boards

Marriage Licence records St Sepulchre London

Marriage Licence records St Sepulchre London

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 12:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Feb 2013 2:16PM GMT
Does anyone know where the marriage licence records for St Sepulchre in London are held please?

Re: Marriage Licence records St Sepulchre London

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 1:19PM GMT
Edited: 22 Feb 2013 1:20PM GMT
St Sepulchre is in Holborn and the records are more then likely held at the London Metropolitan Archives, London.

Sue

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 1:30PM GMT
Many thanks Sue, I'll give them a try

Tracy

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 7:53PM GMT
Marriage licences (the alternative to having the banns called) were issued at a higher ecclesiastical level than the individual parish. The licences themselves almost never survive, but the allegation (the written undertaking that the parties were free to marry) was retained by the issuing authority. Searching for these can be complex, as there is no way of knowing who issued the licence. The LMA's research guide at http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/visiting-the-cit... gives details of what is available and where.

Hope this helps

Caroline

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 11:26AM GMT
Surnames: Girelli & Reynolds
Thank you Caroline that's really informative. It struck me as likely to be complex, but I'm trying to find any source relating to an italian ancestor who married here in 1816.

Very much appreciate your help.

Regards

Tracy

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 6:55PM GMT
Hi Tracy

Tracking down marriage licence allegations can be tricky and only occasionally do they provide more information than is given in the marriage register. Does the entry in the latter definitely say they were married by licence?

Caroline

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 9:41PM GMT
Yes, we've got a copy of the parish register and it states married by licence. It was a stab in the dark really as I've never looked at marriage licences before but as I've come to a bit of a brick wall I thought it might just provide some info. If not then no matter I'm sure I'll find a breakthrough one day! After all it only took 50 odd years to find the marriage :)

Tracy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic