Search for content in message boards

Lydia Charlotte Read

Lydia Charlotte Read

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 3:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am granddaughter to Lydia Read b Sept 1878 in Hoxton, Shoreditch, London, England and looking for information on her marriage to William Henry Langsford b 1859 Devon, Crediton, England. I believe they were married in London between 1905 and 1910. Lydia's parents are Peter b1862 and Elizabeth Read. Lydia was married to Patrick Giltnane b1862 1896 in Edmonton, Middlesex. Any information on her divorce from Patrick would also be very useful.

Re: Lydia Charlotte Read

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 7:01AM GMT
Hi,
Rethink???

1911 census.

William H Langsford wid. 52 born Crediton Devon
Cecil 21 born Shoreditch
Frank 17 born Clapton? London
Lilian 14 born Islington
Harold 13 born Islington
Edwin 10 born Wood Green London
E4rmergard [dau] 3 born Barking Essex
Leonard 2 born Barking
Leonard 2 born Barking
LYDIA GILTNANE 32 housekeeper born Hoxton London

Address New North Road London N W

1901 census has that there are 3 ol;der children and that Williams wife is Hope.

Marriage reg.

William Henry Langford [sic] - Hope Ansell

Shoreditch 1c 71 Jun.Qtr 1874

Birth reg.

Laaurence L Langsford

Rochford 4a 651 Dec.Qtr 1910

Death reg.

Hope Langsford 41 y/o

Edmonton 3a 219 Jun.Qtr 1905

Regards

Sandra

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 7:12AM GMT
Hi,
I think this is a birth reg. for one of Patrick and Lydias children,[the youngest6]

Edith Giltnane

Edmonton 3a 483 Sep.Qtr 1901

Regards

Sandra

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 1:01PM GMT
Edited: 27 Feb 2013 1:10PM GMT
Surnames: Langford
Hi,

Just to add to what Sandra's already given you.

On the 1911 census Patrick is living with his widowed mother and his & Lydia's 6 children. He states he's married and the marriage has lasted 14 years, which kind of infers that he's still married to Lydia.
Also on the 1911 census Lydia states married but fails to say for how long, she does however state she's had 10 children, 9 still living, which also implies that the youngest three Langford children are hers.

Regards
Linda

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 1:33PM GMT
Hi,
I see I messed up on the end of the 1911,sorry.
Should be
Leonard 2 born Barking Essex
Lawrence 6 months born Southend Essex

Regards

Sandra

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 6:23PM GMT
Thanks Linda for your help. I am specifically looking for information on Lydia's divorce from Patrick and for a marriage date to William Henry. On the 1911 census the first five children are William and Hope's (Cecil, Frank, Lillian, Harold & Edwin) the next four children are Williams and Lydia's (Ermengard, Doris, Leonard and Lawrence. Obviously at least one child, Ermengard was born out of wedlock, as Hope did not die until 1905. Any info on the divorce or marriage would be greatly appreciated. Again thanks for your help.
Shari

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 6:30PM GMT
Thanks Sandra for your help. Boy this a new one on me, I have not run across Edmonton on either Lydia or Williams previous children from previous marriages. I am specifically looking for information on Lydia's divorce from Patrick and for a marriage date to William Henry. On the 1911 census the first five children are William and Hope's (Cecil, Frank, Lillian, Harold & Edwin) the next four children are Williams and Lydia's (Ermengard, Doris, Leonard and Lawrence. Obviously at least one child, Ermengard was born out of wedlock, as Hope did not die until 1905. Any info on the divorce or marriage would be greatly appreciated. Again thanks for your help.
Shari

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 8:13PM GMT
Hi,
What makes you think there was a divorce?

Regards

Sandra

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 9:00PM GMT
There was a divorce because Lydia married William Henry and had 9 children by him. I believe the marriage was some time between 1905 and 1906. There were family stories when I was growing up about Lydia leaving Patrick Giltnane with small children and working as a housekeeper for William Henry, later marring him.

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 9:14PM GMT
Surnames: Giltnane, Langford
Hi Shari,

I'm with Sandra on this. I don't think there was a divorce.

Lydia's husband, Patrick Giltnane clearly states on the 1911 census that he is married, obviously still to Lydia as indicated by the length of the marriage.

Also on the 1911 census William Langford states that he is widowed, (while Lydia states she is married).

If you look at the children from both marriages you can see that Ermengard Langsford was born Dec 1901 and must have been a child of William and his wife Hope.
Lydia must have been living with Patrick until around December 1904 (when their youngest child, Cecil was born).
William's wife died in Jun 1905 and it looks as though Lydia left her husband and children between then and the birth of Doris in 1908.

I've double-checked the records and there's no trace of a marriage between Lydia and William
Regards
Linda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic