Search for content in message boards

Death Certificate for my grandfather

Death Certificate for my grandfather

Barbara Spengler (View posts)
Posted: 14 Mar 2004 5:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Mar 2004 1:12AM GMT
My grandfather lived in Riverside and owned an orange grove between the years 1895 and 1899. He died of tuberculosis in either 1898 or 1899 in Riverside. I have no information about him and wonder if Riverside County Vital Statistics would have his death certificate. How do I find this out?

Thank you,

Barbara Spengler

Re: Death Certificate for my grandfather

Posted: 26 Mar 2004 2:29PM GMT
Edited: 3 Apr 2004 11:18PM GMT
Send me his name and I'll call a couple of the local cemeteries to see if he is buried there. They should be able to supply a date of death and from that maybe an obituary can be located.

Posted: 28 Mar 2004 2:26AM GMT
His name was William Thomas Forkner. He died in either 1898 9r 1899. he was a young man. My mother was only two years old when he died.I don't know if he was buried in Riverside or whether his remains were sent back to Anderson, Indiana where he was from. He also owned an orange grove in Riverside and was active in the Sunkiss Growers Association. I think he worked for them as an accountant. I will appreciate any information you can give me.

Thank you,

Barbara Spengler

Posted: 28 Mar 2004 5:07AM GMT
Did your grandmother stay in Riverside or leave after his death? What was her name?

Posted: 28 Mar 2004 5:30AM GMT
My grandmother took my mother back to Anderson, Indiana after her husband died, but they continued to own the orange grove for several years. It provided the income fo them to live on until it was sold, but I don't know when it was sold. She then bought a cottage in Laguna Beach. Her name was Mary Forkner. I have found a record of her living in Anderson, Indiana as a widow in the 1900 census. I really appreciate your taking an interest in this. I know so very little about my grandfather.

Barbara Spengler

Posted: 29 Mar 2004 1:34PM GMT
Surnames: Forkner
Checked city directory at the library yesterday for 1896 through 1899, no Forkner listings. Checked obituary card file (which is very, very incomplete) no listing. Checked Tom Patterson Riverside History articles index that ran in the local paper for many years, no reference to surname Forkner. I'll call the two local cemeteries today.

Posted: 29 Mar 2004 9:10PM GMT
Dear Gail

I am impressed with all of the research you have done to try and find out something about my grandfather. It just seems like there ought to be some kind of record, unless he went back to Anderson, Indiana before he died. That is a possibility I hadn't considered. My mother told me so little about him and that is probably because she knew so little herself. Her mother lost both her husband to tuberculosis and a six-year old son to diptheria the same year. She never remarried and my mother was raised as an only child. I imagine that her mother didn't talk much about her loss. To my mother's recollection, my grandmother wore black dresses for the remainder of her life. Do you think there would be some kind of records connected to the property he owned. I know that the orange grove wasn't sold until my mother graduated from high school in Anderson, Indiana. Someone in Riverside managed the operations of the orange grove for my grandmother. Her maiden name was Swank. I don't know if that is information that helps or not. I truly appreciate all the effort you have taken to help me learn something about my grandfather.

Sincerely,

Barbara Spengler

Posted: 30 Mar 2004 2:41AM GMT
Didn't get a chance to call the cemeteries today. Much too busy at work. I'll give it a try tomorrow. I did find someone who will check and see if they can find a death certificate. Riverside has a very rich history with the orange industry. We still have many, many of the original groves. When I was growing up I can remember getting up in the morning and seeing the sky dark. When it would get down to a certain temperature they would have to start the smudge pots to keep the oranges warm. If you go on to EBAY there is almost always someone selling one of the package labels. They are quite interesting and very pretty depictions of Riverside and it's orange groves. Lots of local stores display them as pictures now. I found a collection at the library also that was called "Citrography". It was a newspaper primarily about the citrus industry. It even listed births, marriages and deaths much like any other paper would do. I check 1898, but it looked like it was more for persons located in San Bernardino County.

Posted: 30 Mar 2004 10:39PM GMT
I am wondering if there is any history of my grandfather working for Sunkist Growers Association. If I remember correctly, my mother told me he was the accountant for Sunkist. Also, would there be any records of his owning land in Riverside? I know my mother was born in Riverside in August, 1896, so I know that both my grandparents were living there at that time.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic