Search for content in message boards

Mansfield's on Currituck Sound

Mansfield's on Currituck Sound

Posted: 26 May 2013 2:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mansfield
My grandparents Burnie Mansfield and Minnie May Mansfield owned an old hunt club on the Currituck Sound/ Tulls Bay. I have a few photos in which you can see the sound in the distance. I cannot quite remember how to get to the house. Any clues? Also, Richard and Carrie Mansfield are buried in that area and I would like to visit/ record their graves as they were my great grandparents.

Re: Mansfield's on Currituck Sound

Posted: 5 Jun 2013 7:49PM GMT
I have the Currituck Co. cemetery book and it appears that Richard & Carrie Amanda Mansfield are buried in the Humphries Cemetery, Cemetery directions in 1988 says "On the north side of Tulls Creek Road (State Route 1222) just west of Copeland Dr. (SR 1267). Check out this map to see the area where this cemetery is located. https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&am...

Kay Midgett Sheppard

PS: I don't live in NC but you might stop and ask someone that lives close by if they know where the old hunt club was or if they know where the Humphries Cemetery might be.

Posted: 22 Jun 2013 4:53PM GMT
Hello there,

I live about 3 miles from there and would be glad to shoot a shot of the head stones for you. I used the directions that were given but they are wrong. I couldn't locate any stones in that area that was mentioned. Will try to get to the library this week and see if I can find anymore info for you. What is the dates of death for each?

Posted: 22 Jun 2013 4:56PM GMT
I live about 3 miles from there and went by last night. Your directions are incorrect, most of that area is either developed into homes or are farmers corn/wheat fields. Tulls Creek Road runs North - South, while Copeland runs East - West. I have checked with the Currituck Genealogy Society and don't see a Humphrey's Cemetery in their listings. Please let me know where you are getting the info please. Thanks

Posted: 22 Jun 2013 4:56PM GMT
I live about 3 miles from there and went by last night. Your directions are incorrect, most of that area is either developed into homes or are farmers corn/wheat fields. Tulls Creek Road runs North - South, while Copeland runs East - West. I have checked with the Currituck Genealogy Society and don't see a Humphrey's Cemetery in their listings. Please let me know where you are getting the info please. Thanks

Posted: 23 Jun 2013 4:07AM GMT
Richard and Carrie were my great grandparents . Richard's son Burnie and Wife Minnie sold their home and large acreage to Mr. Tice on what is now Tice Rd. off of Launch Landing. I found the house
http://www.ncgenweb.us/currituck/photosbios/houses/braytjhou...

I really appreciate your help

Kandace Mansfield West

Posted: 23 Jun 2013 4:17AM GMT
Thank you so much for your help
Richard Mathias Mansfield 1856-1940
Carrie Amanda (Sears) Mansfield 1869-1936

Humphries Cemetery makes sense because Richard's mother's maiden name was Humphries. The gravesites could have been moved for development . I really would love pictures. I am planning to visit friends at Bell's Island July 4th and would like to see their graves if possible.

Sincerely,
Kandace Mansfield West

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 8:05PM GMT
Kandace,

Mr. J.A. Owens saw your query the other day and since he had business in Moyock this morning he decided to see if he could find the Humphries Cemetery. He had no problem finding it BUT it was terribly overgrown, however, he did manage to find and photograph all but 2 of the headstones which you can now view at: http://www.ncgenweb.us/currituck/cemeteries/index_humphries....

I hope these will be useful to you.

Warm regards,
Kay Midgett Sheppard

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 1:28AM GMT
I am speechless. I have been trying to find these graves for many years. I will let my father know.
Thank you all for your kindness.
Sincerely,
Kandace Mansfield West

Posted: 9 Dec 2013 4:09AM GMT
RICHARD AND CARRIE MANSFIELD WERE ALSO MY HUSBANDS GREAT GRAND PARENTS---I HAVE PICTURES OF THEM
---MY E-MAIL IS mansfieldfarm@embarqmail.com---would be glad to e-mail pictures if you like--look forward to hearing from you--linda Mansfield ---BURNIE MANSFIELD AND RICHARD MANSFIELD WERE BROTHERS---RICHARD IS MY HUSBANDS GRANDFATHER.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic