Search for content in message boards

GRO references

GRO references

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 8:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, Can anyone tell me if you can find out the name of the church from the GRO ref ie; 1a 265, I know that it is in the St Georges Hanover Sq reg dist but can it tell me more than that. I have been trying to obtain a cert from the GRO and have full details but they have come back saying that they "are unable to find any entry with the details provided" I have looked at the Westminster Regstrars office site and they say that you can look at the indexes there but must order through the GRO. Any ideas? Lesley

Re: GRO references

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 7:53AM GMT
Hi,
Not that I know of.You would have to look through every parish in the reg. dis. for a baptism,big job,less frustrating to buy the birth cert?If you put the name and any other info you think important up someone on the site maybe able to help.

Regards

Sandra

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 7:02PM GMT
Edited: 8 Mar 2013 7:13PM GMT
Hi
From the parish marriage index on findmypast - there are entries for both Charles Porter and Mary Powell in 1860 at St George Hanover Square. By which they mean the church, as they have filmed Westminster parish records and put them on their website. Is this the marriage you mean?
John

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 11:02PM GMT
Hi, Thanks to all who have tried to help. I have recieved an explanation from Westminster Archives which says ...
"Free BMD page 265 gives four names, Chas Porter, Mary Powell, Eliza' Breacker and John Sandy (as there are two marriages per page in the register). From this you know that there are two couples but not which man married which woman. Further searching on Find my past shows that Chas Porter in fact married Eliz' Breacker and Mary Powell married John Sandy" Confused? I was, I always thought that each marriage had a unique reference not one between four people which doesn't help when trying to track down a marriage partner by using their first name and a reference.
Hope this info helps someone else. Lesley
per page

Find a board about a specific topic