Search for content in message boards

Shepperd in Kent and Eltham 1911-1970

Shepperd in Kent and Eltham 1911-1970

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 8:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Shepperd, Barker, Dutfield, Hastings
Hello,

I am doing research on a Shepperd family that lived around Kent and Eltham south-east London from about 1911 to 1970.

I am in Australia and my father's father was a Maurice Shepperd, born in 1905 son of Joseph and Letitia. Maurice came to Australia for ten or so years arriving just before the start of the WW2. My father was born in 1941 and Maurice joined the war effort around the same time. He had some trouble in the war and after, lived apart from the family. He finally went back to England sometime in the late forties or early 1950's. My father never got to know him or his parents and knows nothing about that side of his family.

So far in my research I have discovered Maurice had 3 siblings: Ivy Grace, Harold, and Hubert. I would really like to know more about this family.

I have already found and added almost all of the available records for the Shepperds and their close realtions, however apart from the 1911 census and a birth certificate there is no other information for Maurice Shepperd who I am keenly interested in.

Please feel free to check my tree and message me if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Gabriel

Re: Shepperd in Kent and Eltham 1911-1970

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 1:54AM GMT
Surnames: Shepperd
Hello Gabriel

Have you managed to trace Maurice's siblings marrying and having children?I note that Joseph Benjamin Shepperd died in 1953 aged 79 years in the Bromley area of Kent.His wife Letitia Hannah Shepperd died in the area od Stratton,Cornwall in 1960 aged 82 yrs.

Have you gone any further back on the parents of Joseph B Shepperd's parents?Do you know Maurice's birthdate by any chance?I will try and help as much as i can.

regards John in the UK

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 10:21PM GMT

Have more information regarding the Shepperd family.

John

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 10:42PM GMT
Hi John,

Thank you very much for you kind offer to help. I actually tried to reply yesterday however the ancestry site seemed to be down.

Ivy Grace Shepperd married an Ernest Ryan and maybe had a child, Margaret J Ryan b. 1923 who may have married in the 1960's aged 41. She died quite young mostly likely TB or Spanish flu.

Harold seems to have had no children. He did marry and seems to have died with his wife in the war, most likely during the Bombing of London. He married late to an older widow during the war making the chance of them having children a little slim, although they had been living together for several years before that.

Hubert also married late, in fact just 6 months before he died! But we can assume he was in the relationship for some time before the wedding as he already had a daughter who was a few years old at the time. I have just tracked her down and I think I have her current address. I have just got to get around to writing to her. I have a little bit of trepidation as she is my father's cousin whom he never new existed.

Maurice was born around December 1908. The only records I have found for him were the entry in the birth index, the 1911 census and an entry in the electoral register. However the entry in the electoral register seems to be in error as it has "Maurice Hubert Shepperd". Somehow Maurice's and Hubert's names became conflated. It is most likely Hubert Shepperd not Maurice, as Hubert is shown on the electoral registers living there and at other address with his parents in the preceding and following years but never Maurice.

To complicate matters Maurice often went by the name of Michael Shepperd in Australia. He joined the Australian army during the war and was also drafted into the Civil Construction Corps. In those records he pushes his birthday back to Nov 1905, which he would have had no reason to do as he was already old enough to join up. Unless he wanted to seem too old but I doubt that 3 years would have made any difference. 1905 was also the year Hubert was born.

On the marriage certificate for Maurice and my grandmother and my father's birth certificate his year of birth is also stated as 1905.

So for Maurice we just have a few army records in Australia, a wedding certificate, his English birth certificate and the 1911 census. There seems to be no electoral registry entries in the UK and no death certificate.

There is some vague rumour that he may have traveled the world a bit before coming to Australia as he was supposed to have been good at foreign languages, which would have been unusual for someone from a working class family growing up in the south east of London and he may not have finished secondary schooling according to the army records.

Unfortunately my grandmother refused to tell my father anything of significance about Maurice and she passed away in 1975 a few months before I was born.

I have found some information through the census on Joseph's family but I am not sure how reliable it is. I mean I may have chosen some unrelated records. Joseph served in the Great War and received an army pension. He was born in Ireland, however his situation is complicated as he seems to have been looked after by his maternal grandfather, at least for a time. The relationship between the various members of that household are complex and I am not sure if the records I have found for his father are in fact those of the correct person.

That's the story so far. I am hoping that when I contact Hubert's daughter she might be able to shed some more light.

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread, it is really much appreciated.

Best regards,

Gabe from Australia
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions