Search for content in message boards

Jones of NC and SC (Possibly Cherokee)

Jones of NC and SC (Possibly Cherokee)

Posted: 16 Jan 2006 6:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Jun 2006 5:56AM GMT
Surnames: Turvey, Plant, Barrett, Tanner, Jones, Wehr, Jenkins and MANY more!!!
I am looking for informaiton on my husband's grandfather and great-grandfather. Rumor has it, his great-grandfather, John Henry Jones was either an American Indian or married an American Indian, Cherokee as the rumor goes. His wife was Pricilla or Aussiala Harris. We think John was born in South Carolina. His son, my husband's grandfather, was James Henry Jones born in North Carolina. He married several times. He was born between 1870 and 1874. Very common name and very hard to learn anything about the two men. I can't verify they were Indian, or basically that they were even born!!! I can't find them on census records or cemetery records. They were from Pitt County NC, but as far as SC, I have no idea of where to look. Please help if you can.

Re: Jones of NC and SC (Possibly Cherokee)

Posted: 20 Mar 2006 8:28PM GMT
Surnames: Jones
I'm looking for the Jones' on my husbands side of the family also - we know there's Native American somehow - we're guessing through the Jones side - but no one really seems to know how, or where they were from. I'm really starting from the very beginning on this one. I've gotten as far back as his grandmother's grandfather - I believe his name was J.W. Jones, but I don't know what the J.W. stands for, where he was from, or anything about his family. Judging by the entires on this message board, there seem to be several Jones families in the same situation!

Posted: 20 Mar 2006 9:05PM GMT
I understand the delima and it's possible we're looking for the same line. I know my John Henry Jones is from SC, and there's rumor that he was either part Amerian Indian, or was married to an Indian. But unfortunately that's all I have. Keep in touch. Maybe something will click.

Kristin Yates (View posts)
Posted: 20 Mar 2006 11:01PM GMT
I will definitely keep in touch. My e-mail address is kasey00hotmail.com The Jones' I'm looking for eventually ended up in Texas somehow (my husband's grandmother is now in Texas.) I'm not sure how many generations ago it was that they came there, and I have no idea where they came from. I literally have almost nothing to go on at this point!

Posted: 29 Apr 2006 3:34AM GMT
I too am looking for a Native American connection on my Jones family line. We are of an olive color (dark complection). I have not been able to find a listing as indian.Michelle

David (View posts)
Posted: 4 May 2006 2:06AM GMT
Where is your family from in NC?

Posted: 4 May 2006 3:00AM GMT
Mostly from Washington and Pitt Counties.

Posted: 6 May 2006 2:36AM GMT
Surnames: Jones, Lee, Henson Miller, Robinson
Princeton, N.C. Greenville,S.C.

David (View posts)
Posted: 9 May 2006 12:21PM GMT
Ours is in a different area of NC. Sorry.

Posted: 10 May 2006 11:18AM GMT
Edited: 25 Nov 2006 12:42PM GMT
Mine is probably from Jerusalem, Davie & Rowan Co., NC.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic