Search for content in message boards

Early Settlers Mecklenburg County- Will do Look ups

Early Settlers Mecklenburg County- Will do Look ups

Posted: 20 Oct 2002 7:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Oct 2003 12:54AM GMT
I recently purchased the "Early Settlers Mecklenburg County, Virginia" reference published in 1964. The book contains notes on early families, land grants, deeds, tithe lists, lists, parish info, colonial soldiers rosters, and a list of families who migrated to other states. I will do lookups. Please email me or post to this message and I will do my best to help you out!

From the random act of kindness girl,
Roberta

Re: Early Settlers Mecklenburg County- Will do Look ups

mario joyce (View posts)
Posted: 21 Oct 2002 8:36PM GMT
hi, could you please do a look up for me?! Could you look up nash/naish, dunston, chavis, or stewart.and if you have spare time the name dyson/dison. If its too many names don't worry about it, okay? thanks in advance, mario

DONALD E McDANIEL JR (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 2002 9:12PM GMT
Surnames: McDANIEL
THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR KINDNESS IN OFFERING
SUCH A VALUABLE SERVICE TO FELLOW SEARCHERS!

PLEASE SEARCH FOR THE SURNAME McDANIEL AT
YOUR CONVENIENCE. I HAVE TRACED MY ANCESTOR,
DANIEL WADE McDANIEL, TO MECKLENBURG COUNTY
IN 1810 AND BELIEVE THAT HE WAS THE FIRST BORN
IN AMERICA. HIS FATHER (NAME UNKNOWN) SHOULD BE LISTED SOMEWHERE IN MECKLENBURG COUNTY.

GRATEFULLY,

DON McDANIEL

L.Smith (View posts)
Posted: 24 Oct 2002 7:37PM GMT
Drury and John Mc Daniel collected and drove Bees in Mecklenburg County in the 1779 era. Daniel may have been a son .

L.D.Smith (View posts)
Posted: 24 Oct 2002 8:06PM GMT
Thomas Nash, elected in 1757 as a Burgess.
William Nash was one of six persons deeded land for a Presbyterian Meeting House in 1777.
John Nash a free blackman was granted the right to own a firearm in 1826.
Andrew and John Chavis (later Chavous) were two of six free blackmen who enlisted in the Revolutionary (Continental) Army from Mecklenburg County in the summer of 1775. Some fought with Gates at Camden and Yorktown.

DON McDANIEL (View posts)
Posted: 24 Oct 2002 9:39PM GMT
Surnames: McDANIEL
THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR INFO- I WILL ADVISE AT A LATER DATE IF I AM ABLE TO EVER LINK THEM AS MY
ANCESTORS! IF I CAN EVER FIND THE BURIAL PLACE OF DANIEL McDANIEL, MY RESEARCH WOULD BE
EXTENDED GREATLY.

SINCERELY,

DON McDANIEL

Tom Wortham (View posts)
Posted: 26 Oct 2002 2:28AM GMT
I am searching for information on the Wortham families who lived in Mecklenburg County as early as 1820 when a Wm Wortham was enumerated in the 1820 census. Four other different Wortham men and their families resided there through the 1850s.

Posted: 28 Oct 2002 3:09PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jul 2004 2:32PM GMT
Could you please tell me if there is a reference in your book to a Charles H. Hudson (b. bet. 1820-30, d. abt. 1900 in Monroe County, AL) who went to Alabama? I believe that his middle initial stands for Hiliary, since he had a son by that name. I know he came from the Meck. area, but I can't find which family of Hudsons to connect him to.

Because of the Hiliary name, I believe that he must belong somehow to Charles Hiliary Hudson (1758-1840). He could be a grandson or nephew or something. This Charles Hiliary also had a Charles H., Jr. (b. 1795) who married Elizabeth Duffer.

Adam Walker (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2002 12:52PM GMT
I'm looking for any information on John and Lucy Covington who supposedly owned a plantation in or near Pineville before the Civil War. According to family lore they divorced before the War sold all the property and put the monies into trust for their children. They supposedly had only two children, John Jr. and Lucy. John is said to have died as a youth in a horse riding accident perhaps before the divorce, so the daughter, Lucy, may have been the sole heir. After the divorce John, Sr. is said to have moved off, possibly to Georgia and the Lucys moved to Texas. If there is anything in your book about this family I would LOVE to know.

Roberta (View posts)
Posted: 31 Oct 2002 12:48AM GMT
The only reference to Charles Hudson in the book occurs in the tariff list of 1764 for St. James Parish. He is listed with a William Hudson.

However, the book also contains a reference to Christopher Hudson and his wife Cary of Cumberland Parish. They sold 150 acres on the north side of Roanoke River adjoining John Clements, Thomas Robertson, and William Toms in 1746. There is another reference to Christopher in a tithing list from 1746 with Christopher Jr associated with him. Christopher is listed as a witness on several deeds in the town.

The book lists a Daniel, Ephraim, James, John, Peter, Richard, Robert, Samuel, and William. If you want any info on these folks let me know.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic