Search for content in message boards

Help Creating a Family Tree.

Help Creating a Family Tree.

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 9:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Feb 2013 9:57PM GMT
Hi,

I am new to Ancestry.com and have lots to learn.
In order to create a family tree does one need to buy "Family Tree Maker" to create the tree and then upload it to Ancestry.com or can the tree be created in Ancestry.com directly?
Secondly I see a few public family trees that have members of my family. I don't personaly know the authorof the tree. Can I use that tree as a starting point and somehow build upon it and save it with my own family name?

Thanks,
Mark

Re: Help Creating a Family Tree.

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 6:04PM GMT
You do not need Family Tree Maker, though you may wish to at some point. There are advantages to having a stand alone program.

There are very good tutorials available on Ancestry. Recommend you read and research a bit before diving in.

Take a look at the "First Steps" here http://www.ancestry.com/cs/Satellite?childpagename=USLearnin...

By all means use others trees as a guide, but it is not good practice to just copy trees without verifying the sources. Do the research, follow the documentation and look at the sources. That way you'll catch errors before they get in your tree.

Welcome to a fun and rewarding hobby.

Re: Help Creating a Family Tree.

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 6:20PM GMT
Have you been to the Learning Center? First Steps and Next Steps will walk you though the process.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic