Search for content in message boards

Selman/Elkins/Lowry

Selman/Elkins/Lowry

Posted: 28 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Jan 2002 5:46AM GMT
Surnames: Selman, Elkins, Lowry
earching for information on several families living in Baylor County from mid-1800's up through early 1900's. Thomas and Mattie Selman. He was a Dr. or pharmacists. Had a drug store in Seymour. He is listed on the 1880 census. His daughter Mary married William H. Elkins. Their daughter Allie, married Hubert Lowry, son of Samuel Barksdale Lowry. The Elkins are also listed on the 1880 census for Baylor County. Would like to share info. on these families. All three families have info. on them in the Salt Port to Sriloin volume 1 History of Baylor County.

Re: Selman/Elkins/Lowry

Posted: 12 Jan 2002 7:16AM GMT
Edited: 29 Sep 2003 7:00PM GMT
I have some info on Selman family. My great-great grandfather was Calvin Scott, who married Mary Ann "Polly" Selman, daughter of Benjamin Selman. Email me and we can compare notes.

Nina Campbell
ncampbell@texoma.net

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 11:41PM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2012 11:41PM GMT
I am following up on a 2002 (almost 10 years ago) post by Nina Campbell (ncampbell@texoma.net) about her gggrandfather Calvin Scott, born in TN. about 1824-1825. He is also my gggrandfather. I have his middle name as Curry--which I am thinking might be his mother's maiden name--just a guess. I've hit a total roadblock--and do not know where Calvin Curry Scott was born or where he is buried. Likewise, one of his sons, William C. Scott, died young (age 30) from a pump accident. I would like to know where he is buried as well.

Ruth Ann (Scott) Ference

Posted: 10 Apr 2012 12:47AM GMT
Write me, I have information for you.
Corinne@adkpennysaver.com

Posted: 10 Apr 2012 12:50AM GMT
Calvin Curry Scott out of Texas is on my chart as well.
Born 1825 TN
Married 1848 to May Ann Selman
They had Nicholas Aurelia a girl
Who married Robert Daniel Green and had three children, Curry Mathew, Birdie, Mary Lura.
Robert married my grandmother, Birdie married one of the Hollands and Mary Lure or Aunt Toodie as we knew her married Richard Eddleman.
This all happened on the Mill Iron ranch outside of Estelline Texas.
If this doesn't ring any bells, it's a different CC Scott!
No son named William that I charted.
Let me know.
Corinne

Re: Selman/Elkins/Lowry - Obituary

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 2:02AM GMT
Surnames: Scott, Selman
This obituary was found in the May 13, 1910 issue of the Baylor County Banner (Baylor County, Texas). Mary Ann Selman Scott was the wife of Calvin C. Scott and a descendant of Thomas Selman and Jemimah Greenlease. She was a cousin to my great-grandmother, Lodema Criswell Hairston. Lodema’s grandmother was Nancy Selman, also a descendant of Thomas Selman and Jemimah Greenlease.

Grandma Scott Dies
Sunday morning, May 8 at 4 o’clock Grandma M. A. Scott breathed her last. She had been sick for a long time with kidney trouble and for several months had been gradually growing worse. Anticipating the end, her children had all been here to visit her and all but one were present when she died. The funeral took place at the residence on Sunday afternoon at 4 o’clock. Her pastor, Rev. O. E. Clark, conducted the services. A long procession of sorrowing relatives and friends followed the remains to the cemetery.
Grandma Scott died at the advanced age of 80 years and was the last one of nine children. She moved to Baylor County in 1879, being one of the first settlers, and lived a few years at Round Timber, after which she moved to Seymour. During her long residence here, she has won the love and esteem of all those who have known her. She had become a familiar figure in the town and her presence will be sadly missed. For sixty years Mrs. Scott has been a faithful member of the Baptist church. Her life has been an exemplary one and she could lie down in death without fear or trembling.
Deceased leaves six children: Ben Scott and Mrs. J. S. Foster of this place, J. G. Scott of Tahoka, Holly Scott of Roosevelt, Okla., Mrs. Reeder of Knox City, and Mrs. N. A. Green of Estelline. People of Seymour join those in sorrow for the death of this good woman. We have this consolation, though, that she had more than lived out her period of years and so lived that her memory will be revered.

Re: Selman/Elkins/Lowry - Obituary

Posted: 12 Apr 2012 10:49PM GMT
Do you possibly have information on CC Scouts parents?
They seem to spring from nowhere.
Thanks for finding this on Mary Ann, very nice piece.
Loads of stuff on the Selman side but not his.
Thanks
Corinne

Re: Selman/Elkins/Lowry - Calvin Scott and Mary Ann"Polly" Selman

Posted: 15 Apr 2012 2:28PM GMT
Surnames: Scott, Selman, Findley, Reeder
According to the book Over the Mountain by Martha Crabb, Mary Ann Selman married Calvin C. Scott on Sept. 12,1848 in Cherokee County, Texas. Calvin was born on May 1, 1825 in Tennessee. They moved to Hood County in 1877 and to Baylor in 1880 where Calvin died on Nov 21, 1881. They had six children: an unnamed infant, Sarah Elmira (married a Findley), Benjamin Thomas, Jefferson Greenlee, Willis Hollingsworth (died in Potter County), and Mary Artemisia Scott (married a Reeder). These names don't all match up to the ones in the obituary. There is much more about the Selman family in this book. The only other mention of Calvin C. Scott was that he was a Master Mason.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions