Search for content in message boards

Manyx - Minogue

Manyx - Minogue

Posted: 13 Apr 2008 6:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Manyx - Minogue
My grandfather, Michael Manyx and his brother Patrick Manyx came to the USA in the 1850's as teenagers.I have been told that they were the sons of John Minogue of Derilk County Clare Ireland. I have a letter from their mother signed Mary Minogue and from their aunt signed Bridget Minogue. Bridget's letter came from Scarriff Union. In the 1980's I was told that my ancestors were the Minogues of County Clare and that there were many Minogues in Co Clare. I will exchange info. There was a third brother who came to the USA who might have named John.

Re: Manyx - Minogue

Posted: 16 Apr 2008 3:04AM GMT
Surnames: Minogue, Flanagan, Kennedy, Noonan, Bonville
My gr gr grandfather John Minogue married Elizabeth "Bessie" Kennedy circa 1847 either in Co Clare or Co Tipperary NR. (These are the records for which I am searching.) To my knowledge they had 4 children: Anna born about 1847, John J. born 10 Mar 1854, (In 1854, John Minogue's address was listed as Derrybeg, Portroe Town, Castletownarra, Co Tipperary). Bridget was born abt 1858 in US and Mary born abt 1860 in US. John Minogue, with or without bride, may have moved from Co Clare to Tipperary to work in the slate mines in the Portroe area.

John J. Minogue may have had other brothers because there were so many Minogues that settled in Poultney and Fair Haven VT (near the slate quarries).

Posted: 16 Apr 2008 12:45PM GMT
I hope you can read this attachment. It is info from 1979 given to me by P Purcell in Co Clare. He sent me additional information. But I can't know for a fact that it is all correct. I have never had any luck finding any other information about my Irish grandfather.
Attachments:

Posted: 22 Apr 2008 1:26AM GMT
Surnames: Minogue, Flanagan, Noonan, McNamara, Kennedy
Mary,

Thank you for the information. My relative John Minogue was from Castletownarra, Tipperary NR, his son John J. was baptized in Portroe in Tipperary NR in 1854. There may be a connection prior to the 1850's but I have not found it yet. The Minogues seem to be sprinkled from Scarriff, Co Clare to Nenagh, Co Tipperary. Thank you for your response and good luck.
Mike Minogue

Posted: 23 Apr 2008 12:30PM GMT
Last night when I was looking on Ancestry I hit search for historical records for some one with the last name Minogue with a son named Manyx and up popped John Mannix born 19 Feb 1890 in Co Clare Ireland whose father was Patrick Minogue. His father was deceased.
We were always told that our name Manyx was Minogue in Ireland. I've always wondered why, but doubt that I'll ever find out why. It just seems an odd transition.
Maybe I'll get lucky. The last time I told a researcher I doubted that I would ever find my relatives in CA, it was only about a week later that I did. Maybe I'll use that as my catch phrase from now on!!Happy Hunting

Posted: 7 May 2008 9:59PM GMT
Surnames: Mannix Minogue
I was always told that Minogue was the Gaelic form of Mannix, and that both trace their origin to the Isle of Man. I have no idea what that is in Gaelic. I suppose we are all variants of Manx.

My late father William Mannix (he would have been 100 on Monday!) and my late uncle John Mannix are two sons of Patrick ("Paddy") Minogue of County Clare. But this Paddy was born in 1870, emigrated to NYC in 1900, and died in the 1918 flu epidemic. Good luck on your quest!

Posted: 31 Jul 2008 10:47PM GMT
Hi Mike I've seen Minogues from Castletownarra listed in the Hearth Rolls from the 1600s so we know they werent still wet from swimming across the Shannon in the 1800s Yeah there is that tradition of Mannix as a synonym in my Minogues as well.
All The Best,
Peter Patten

Posted: 31 Jul 2008 10:47PM GMT
Surnames: Minogue Mannix
Hi Mike I've seen Minogues from Castletownarra listed in the Hearth Rolls from the 1600s so we know they werent still wet from swimming across the Shannon in the 1800s Yeah there is that tradition of Mannix as a synonym in my Minogues as well.
All The Best,
Peter Patten
stonepegger at aol

Posted: 1 Aug 2008 2:31PM GMT
Surnames: Manyx - Minogue
There is a Michael Manyx listed on the LDS site born Sep 04, 1866 (same day and month as my son). There is a Mary Manyx listed on the 1860 PHiladelphis Census who I feel may be a relative since as far as I know my ancestors arrived in Philadelphia.

There are Mynoges listed in the Census of Ireland circa 1659. We've been around forever.

I want to locate my grandfather's brother's descendents who stayed in the east. I thought with the advent of the internet that I would be able to but so far no luck.

Re: Minogue of Castletownarra, NR Tipperary

Posted: 1 Aug 2008 4:05PM GMT
Surnames: Minogue, Flanagan, Noonan, McNamara, Kennedy
Peter,
Can you tell me what "Hearth Rolls from the 1600s" are and how to find them?

I was fortunate to find John Minogue's Baptism record in Portroe Town, (address Garrybeg) in Castletownarra Parish a few months ago. Recently I found Michael, John and David Minogue as tenents of James Watson in Parish Castletownarra, Nenagh Union, Townland Garrykennedy (whish encompasses Garrybeg), NR Tipperary in 1850's.

Thanks for your help.

Mike
per page

Find a board about a specific topic