Search for content in message boards

Struggling to find parents

Struggling to find parents

Posted: 10 Apr 2013 12:39AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Summerfield
Hi.

I am looking for the Parents of Thomas Hanley Summerfield.
B: Jun 1856 St Olave, Birth Registry vol 1d, page 476.
D: 30 Nov 1940 London, vol 1d, page 1808.

I am also trying to find the Maiden name of the above Wife and if possible her parents,
Catherine Summerfield, She was born about 1857 Dublin Ireland,(according to Census records)and Died 1st qtr 1891 aged 34, vol 1d page 211.

is anyone able to view the records at the Archives in England, cost at this point is a prohibiting factor for me, and I also live in Australia, so cannot attend the Archives.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Greg

Re: Struggling to find parents

Posted: 10 Apr 2013 9:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,
Are you 100% sure that that Thomas is your ancestor??
There is a marriage of a Thomas Hanley Summerfield
Reigate 2a 269 Mar.Qtr 1897 the bride was a Kate Marion Champion who is 25 y/o in 1901 census.The couple I think you were following are in Liverpool in the 1901 census and are both the same age.

Regards

Sandra

Posted: 10 Apr 2013 12:59PM GMT
Hi.

Yeah that was his second wife.

his first wife Catherine died in 1891.

Thomas and Kate later immigrated to Canada, she died 1937.
then Thomas came back to England in 1938.

Cheers Greg

Posted: 10 Apr 2013 3:43PM GMT
Hi,
It may be easier to find Thomas Hanley Summerfield with his parents if you have his marriage cert. which will have his fathers name and occupation on it.

Regards

Sandra

Posted: 10 Apr 2013 5:10PM GMT
Edited: 10 Apr 2013 5:40PM GMT
Hi
One possibility might be that he married Catherine in Ireland?
From the Irish marriage indexes, a Thomas Summerfield married in Limerick district in March quarter 1878.
Volume 5 Page 429. Two marriages and four names on page 429 - one of them is a Catherine White.
For the second marriage, Banns were called at St John the Evangelist, Walworth, January 31, February 7 and 14th 1897. Thomas Hanley Summerfield of this parish Widower + Kate Marion Champion of S Mary Magdalene Reigate Surrey spinster.
Ancestry have been filming Surrey parish registers, so we may yet get to see this one online.
John

Posted: 10 Apr 2013 10:45PM GMT
HI.

Don't have! can not find when and where he first married.

Cheers Greg

Posted: 11 Apr 2013 5:30AM GMT
Hi,
His fayhers name will be on BOTH marriage certs.you will have to buy it.

Regards

Sandra

Posted: 11 Apr 2013 11:11AM GMT
Edited: 11 Apr 2013 12:22PM GMT
Well, I cannot see any logic at all in buying the certificate for the marriage to Kate Champion in preference to the birth certificate.
On the birth certificate you will get the names of both parents and the maiden name of the mother
And if its an illegitimate birth then at least you will get the name of the mother.
The only reason would be if you needed information on Kate.
And as I said, Surrey parish registers held at Surrey History Centre are coming online on Ancestry in 2013. Including marriages to 1937, so obviously that will include the one in Reigate in 1897.
See the info on this on the Surrey County Council website

The birth in 1856 was in Camberwell, not St Olave. And it was the only Summerfield birth in Camberwell district in the civil registration indexes until Harry Summerfield in 1866 (and that's an illegitimate birth)
You need the birth certificate really

Posted: 29 May 2013 5:32PM GMT
Marriage of Thomas Hanley Summerfield!
20th February 1897 at St Mary Reigate
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions