Search for content in message boards

Not Fair

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 12:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Feb 2013 4:56PM GMT
What irks me are private trees - private in the sense that the owner is quite happy to take all records etc, from public trees but keep their own tree private, not even having the courtesy to reply to messages from well-meaning public members who simply wish to find out how they may be related. There should be a way of (not by making your own tree private which would be totally pointless) stopping records being taken from public trees by private tree members.
Okay rant over, time for a cup of tea.

Re: Not Fair

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 3:55PM GMT
This private tree rant comes up so often, people don't even want to discuss it - although the DNA group is complaining about it now.

http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?o=0&m=1564.3.2.1&...

http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.dnaresearch.generalresearc...

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 4:29PM GMT
Hmmm, seems it was unpopular then also. It just gets me mad when they do not answer messages but are quite happy to just take, take, take.
:-)

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 9:38PM GMT
I'm guessing in some cases at least they no longer have a subscription to ancestry.com. Also, some people do not understand that they living people are private to others. There is a steep learning curve for some.

L.

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 9:55PM GMT
Living people are not shown on public trees as per Ancestry rules, unless you have invited others to your tree and allowed them to see living people.

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 10:35PM GMT
Same can be said for many (most) public tree owners. They copy content from everyone else's trees and never contribute any original content. But that's okay with you simply because you can see their tree??? Not to mention, many private tree owners do share and their original content is available to other users because they have shared it with people who have posted it to their public trees.

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 2:07AM GMT
My tree is open to anyone and I have always contributed "original" records etc. So I do not know why you are getting so high and almighty, you need to calm down and GROW UP girl.

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 3:32AM GMT
Do you always reply with such immaturity when you don't have a valid argument?

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 4:44AM GMT
Maybe we should just tell everyone with a private tree they should 1) switch it to private and unsearchable and 2) download items they want and upload them to their tree so you'll never know. They'll get what they want and you'll never know. Everyone's happy.

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 6:07AM GMT
"Same can be said for many (most) public tree owners."

...and how selfish of those public tree owners to deny others the exhilaration and reward associated with actual research and discovery...those louts!

hehehe
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions