Search for content in message boards

1841 Census in Kensington

1841 Census in Kensington

Posted: 24 May 2013 11:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Corbut, Bryant
Does anyone know if there are pages missing from the 1841 census in Kensington? I have the Bryant and Corbut families who are from Kensington and were living at Earls Court in 1820 and 1842 and I cannot find anyone from either family in the 1841 census. I found a few people on other records who could possibly be related, but none of them show up on the 1841 census anywhere either.
John James Corbut was born there in 1820 to John and Elizabeth Carpenter Corbut and he married Elizabeth Bryant, daughter of Joseph Bryant 25 Dec 1842 at the St. Mary Abotts Church in Kensington where he was baptized. At least two children were born there in 1843 and 1845 before they emigrated in 1846.
John Corbut was a gardener for the Kensington Palace grounds and Joseph Bryant was a Brewers Servant in 1842 according to their children's marriage certificate and they were both residents of Earls Court or Street.

Re: 1841 Census in Kensington

Posted: 3 Jun 2013 2:16PM GMT
Earls Court itself is definitely included in the census but your two families aren't there. The marriage certificate only gives the address of the bride and groom, it doesn't mean the rest of the family were living there. It's quite likely that the couple getting married had recently moved to their current residence so the Earl's Court address may be misleading for 1841 census purposes.
There are some pages missing for 1841 in Kensington (part), Brompton and Kensal Green - so my guess would be that your missing families were probably there.

Posted: 3 Jun 2013 2:25PM GMT
Surnames: Corbuts, Bryant
Thank you. The grooms birth certificate also mentions Earl street in 1820. His father was a gardener at Kensington Palace. I am assuming that if the fathers were deceased when they married it would not give their occupations.

Posted: 3 Jun 2013 3:42PM GMT
Marriage certificates are not consistent about deceased fathers - sometime they give the occupation but say 'deceased', sometimes it says 'deceased' with no occupation. Other times there is no mention of the fact that the father is deceased, so you can never rely on a marriage certificate to tell you whether a father is deceased or not. This is particularly so at this period when certificates as we know them now had only been in existence for about 5 years, so those completing them were still getting used to doing so and it was not consistently done correctly.

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 11:56AM GMT
Edited: 4 Jun 2013 12:03PM GMT
1841 Census Kensington -
I think the whole of the sub district of Kensington Town is lost in 1841. That's about 17,000 people. Rather more than just some pages missing.
The National Archives report that part of Earls Court is missing in 1841 (what survives is in HO107/690, in Brompton sub district, maybe just in ED 7)
Probably the missing will include much or all of Earls Court Road which may be what they are meaning by your Earls Street?
Marriage said father was a Labourer. In Piece 690, in Sloane Place, near to Chelsea I guess, there is actually a John Corcet (does say that), 45, Labourer. Who he is I don't know, but I suppose that there is just the remotest possibilty if he was really Corbet that he might be your man.
You need the registers of St Mary Abbots really.

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 12:36PM GMT
Thank you, i thought something had to be missing. Do you know if those registers are available for that time period? It is strange that I cannot find either family. There is a Melicent Corbut in the 1851 census who was born in Kensington who could be a sister to John the groom, but there is no other record of her either.

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 1:50PM GMT
Hi
They have baptisms and burials for St Mary Abbots 1813-1845 here on Ancestry in the London parish records
In the burials, in all those years, there are only three for Corbett (can't see any spelling variants at the moment either)
16 April 1829, Henry Corbett, abode Pembroke Square, age 1 year and 6 months
19 June 1829, Elizabeth Corbett, abode Kensington Buildings, age 41
18 May 1838, John Corbett, from the Workhouse, age 44

It almost looks from this and the few baptisms with the name, that your John + Elizabeth could have been among only a few people called Corbett or Corbut who were around in the parish of St Mary Abbots.
And there are always likely to be spelling variations in these parish registers, so it's possible John's parents (possibly a brother too) were already dead by 1841?
There is a death certificate for John Corbett, June 1838, Kensington, 3/224.
May not be him of course, and they may have moved somewhere nearby perhaps, but does look possible that its them.
Do you know when John and Elizabeth married?

John

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 8:52PM GMT
No, I do not have a marriage record for John and Elizabeth Carpenter Corbut; their son John was born in 1820. The Corbut spelling was fairly consistent for records other than census records.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic