Search for content in message boards

Inverness Gardens, London

Inverness Gardens, London

Posted: 1 Jun 2013 6:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for a boarder called Louis Roche living at 1 Inverness Gardens, London round about 1949.

Re: Inverness Gardens, London

Posted: 3 Jun 2013 2:00PM GMT
There is a Louis Roche who appears on electoral registers at 24 Napier Avenue, Fulham during the 1920s and 1930s. Variously Louis Frederick Paul Roche or Louis Paul Frederick Roche, several different spellings. Is he the one? He appears to have a wife Elizabeth and daughter Marie Emilie living with him (electoral registers don't state relationships, this is just an assumption). The family have moved to 40 Napier Court by 1939, the next registers are after the war and they don't appear in those for London as far as I can see.

Posted: 3 Jun 2013 8:17PM GMT
I have found that Louis, but I really need to find someone who knew when he was living at that address: he wasn't registered as living there.

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 8:32AM GMT
In 1949 the electoral register shows the following people living at 1 Inverness Gardens:
Inderjit Bhattacharji
Lionel F Dakers
Elrick R Milne
Irene Thiess

No mention of Louis, but the residents are clearly unrelated to each other so it looks like a boarding house of some kind, or maybe bedsits. I looked a couple of years later in 1951, and Mr Bhattacharji is still there along with what looks like some other members of his family, plus some more unrelated people. No mention of Louis Roche.

The only other information on where people lived at this time that is available for public viewing or research,are the telephone directories. For the 1945 directory there is only a business address, not sure if it is the right man:

Louis Roche Ltd, Foreign Produce Merchant, 14 Old Compton St, London W1

No residential entry but then of course not everyone had a phone at home then.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions