Search for content in message boards

Western North Carolina--Lindsay/Lindsey Family Reunion

Posted: 13 Sep 2008 10:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Mar 2009 4:25PM GMT
Surnames: Lindsay, Lindsey, Linsey, Linsy
The next Reunion will be held on Saturday, October 4, 2008 at Cold Springs Baptist Church, Cold Springs Road, Bryson City, NC. PLEASE BRING PICTURES AND STORIES TO SHARE!! We will need some family members to arrive early (10:30-11a.m.) to help set up and usually we start eating at noon. We will have access to the kitchen and restrooms, and we furnish the paper goods, just bring a potluck.
We descend from Timothy & Mary Ann Boyd Lindsay--Larkin & Rachel Stiles Lindsay--David Siler & Anna Eliza Smiley Lindsay--William Riley & Rhoda McHarge Lindsay, etc. If interested, please join us, whether you are related to any of our ancestors or not. We are still searching for that elusive Mr Lindsay who married Rachel Caler in the early 1800's in Buncombe County, NC.
For more information, please send an email to: wncdaniel28801@yahoo.com call: 828-301-0812 or snail mail:
Danny Lindsay
PO Box 813175
Smyrna, GA 300081

Re: Western North Carolina--Lindsay/Lindsey Family Reunion

Posted: 14 Sep 2008 5:07PM GMT
Do any of your Lindsays have a paper trail to Ireland? The name Boyd and Smiley figure in my Lindsays from County Down in the 1800's.

Re: Western North Carolina--Lindsay/Lindsey Family Reunion

Posted: 14 Sep 2008 6:10PM GMT
Greetings Danny,

Can we assume that your Reunion grouping of Lindsays, composed of the following partriarchical families are all related?? If so, how are they related and would you be able to provide the documentation to prove their relationship?
1. Timothy Lindsay, married to Mary Ann Boyd
2. Larkin Lindsay, married to Rachel Stiles
3. David Siler Lindsay, married to Anna Eliza Smiley
4. William Riley Lindsay, married to Rhoda McHarge

There is a belief, among the DNA Group 9 participants, that your Lindsays are related to Jacob Riley Lindsay (b. 1813 Buncombe Co., NC, d. 1897 Cherokee Co., NC, and married to Jane Ridley, b. ca 1815 Burke Co., NC). Jacob Riley Lindsay is represented in DNA Group 9 by participant L0080. See http://clanlindsay.com/dna_group_9.htm

There is a second participant in DNA Group 9, L0058, who is a perfect 43 marker match with L0080. L0058 descends from Timothy Lindsay b. July 8, 1814, d. October 25, 1863 Swain County, North Carolina, married Sept. 10, 1853 Mary Ann Boyd b. Sept. 1830, d. July 1917. Timothy & Mary Ann had a son named William Riley Lindsay (1855 Macon County, NC - 1923 Swain County, NC). After the generation of William Riley Lindsay, the surname changed to Lindsey for this lineage.

DNA Group 9 participants L0058 and L0080, both are convinced that Timothy and Jacob Riley Lindsay were brothers and that their parents (currently unknown)died prematurely and left their sister, Martha, as an orphan in the home of George Caler, believed to be a maternal uncle of Timothy, Jacob and Martha. The belief is that the mother of Timothy, Jacob, Martha, et al was of the Caler surname.

Danny, which of these paternal Reunion lineages do you descent? Would you be interested in participating in the International Lindsay Surname DNA Project and proving without any doubt if you share a common ancestor with the Lindsays/Lindseys of DNA Group 9? If you wish to respond to me off this list, please advise and I will send you additional information on this historic Project.

My best regards.

Ron Lindsay
San Jose, CA

Posted: 14 Sep 2008 10:07PM GMT
Edited: 5 Mar 2009 4:30PM GMT
Surnames: Lindsay, Lindsey, Linsey, Linsy
The more I learn...the more I search!! Maybe my "lost" GGG-grandpa came from Scotland, by way of Ireland. I do know that the tale handed down for generations was that 3 brothers came over from Scotland and settled in North and South Carolina...listing my GG-grandpa as being born in both SC and Scotland...he was born in Haywood County, NC.

Please email me directly and I will help you research, I just prefer my searches NOT be public...hope you understand.

Danny Lindsay wncdaniel28801@yahoo.com OR d_lindsay@yahoo.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic