Search for content in message boards

Christian Penn, arrived Plymouth 1623

Christian Penn, arrived Plymouth 1623

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 5:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Penn
Christian Penn came to Plymouth in 1623, probably on the Anne. But who were her parents? There are several conflicting entries for the Penn family on Ancestry.com. Are there any primary documents documenting her parentage? Some entries have George Penn (uncle of Admiral Sir William) dying in Plymouth, which he certainly did not do, but according to the Admiral's will, died in Wiltshire. Most people seem to try to tack her onto Admiral Sir William Penn's family as a cousin, but the dates and facts just don't add up.

Re: Christian Penn, arrived Plymouth 1623

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 5:28PM GMT
Edited: 1 Oct 2012 6:17PM GMT
Try the Penn surname board. You'll have better luck.

I would think that published genealogy journals would be your best bet, too.

Have you tried the PERSI index at ancestry.com or in a library?

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 6:25PM GMT
According to this website
http://www.packrat-pro.com/ships/anne.htm

Christian Penn was with the Oldham group.

The Oldhams may have been relatives.

Note: I don't know what the sources are for this info.

Did she marry later?

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 6:49PM GMT
Because she married twice (once widowed) to two men who came over on the Mayflower (Eaton and Billington were her married names). I'm descended from her daughter Mary Sabin (nee Billington). The Mayflower and DAR family trees have been fact- checked pretty well, which show that Christian Penn arrived on the Anne in 1623, and married twice, to Francis Eaton and the Francis Billington, both of whom came over on the Mayflower. It is her history that is unknown.

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 6:51PM GMT
There's a reference here to Chrisitana Penn Eaton (widow of Francis Eaton) who married Francis Billington:

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89060963378;view=im...

If a marriage record exists for her first marriage, it may indicate her parents.

Also, a will or probate record for Francis Eaton could indicate her relatives.

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 7:08PM GMT
There are no such records- Eaton died without a will, there is only an inventory of his goods, and everywhere after she is simply either his widow or later Francis Billington's wife. The early records for Plymouth Colony are rather finite and have been studied over well.

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 7:14PM GMT
Edited: 1 Oct 2012 7:19PM GMT
If there are no known records, then I don't think you'll be able to discover her parents.

DNA testing may be an option.

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 7:32PM GMT
I really really really doubt that, given her burial place is unknown, she could be dug up- and then remove poor Admiral Sir William, dig up St. Mary Redcliffe Church (he's buried underneath) and try to do testing on over 400 year bones to determine if they are relations. DNA testing is no where near that-- unless you are a well funded university/ government organization that has access to the bodies (they've done it for royal Egyptian mummies) it is not going to happen. DNA testing in general shows very very little about ancestry, other than the most basic generalities. You can determine paternity, maternity, and even cousin relationships, but nothing further away with any decent level of certainty. It really shouldn't be attempted to link a person to an ancestral family, only to an ethnicity-- and even then they can be wrong.

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 7:33PM GMT
There are no records in Plymouth colony about her antecedents. I was hoping for records of the Penn family in England which might show a daughter, even unnamed, that would be about the right age.

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 9:11PM GMT
I wasn't suggesting that she be dug up! I meant that living descendants could be tested to see which, if any, Penn lines matched their DNA. Sorry, I should have been more specific!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions