Search for content in message boards

Redmond/Redden and Lewis Hutchison, Barree, Huntingdon, PA

Redmond/Redden and Lewis Hutchison, Barree, Huntingdon, PA

Posted: 10 Aug 2012 9:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hutchison, Watson, Maffit/Moffitt
I am looking for information about Redmond/Redden and Lewis Hutchison who would have been born probably in the 1820s around Barree in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania. I visited some older cousins earlier this weekend and was delighted that they had a photo of my 3rd great grandmother Sarah (Watson) Maffit. To my surprise on the back of the photo was written "Great Grandmother Moffitt who was a Watson before marriage. She was the mother of Redden Hutchison and Lewis Hutchison, five Moffitts...William...Allison...Reuben...Jackson (my grandfather)...Mary Moffitt Gilliland" I had never heard about Redden/Redmond or Lewis before. Sarah Watson's marriage to my 3rd great grandfather was recorded in our family Bible which has been passed down in our family. Also recorded are the births of her five Maffit/Moffitt children. Does anyone know of any other documentation other than what is written on the back of a photo for Sarah being the mother of these Hutchison boys? Or can any other details from stories based down in their family?
Sincerely,
Lynne

Re: Redmond/Redden and Lewis Hutchison, Barree, Huntingdon, PA

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 9:27PM GMT
This is kind of interesting because I am related to to a redmond and Hutchison family of a Lewis Hutchison from Huntington County PA.

Well I believe Lewis Hutchison was from Huntington County PA near Orbisonia. These are very common names in Huntington so I am sure it's a coincidence.

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 3:21AM GMT
I know what you mean...families seem to use the same names over and over again so hard to tell generations apart and/or cousins from one another.

I have sinced figured out the following about my 2nd great uncles:

Redmond “Redden” Hutchison (son of Sarah Watson and George Hutchison) was born December 11, 1819 in Barree Township, Huntingdon, Pennsylvania. He died June 10, 1902. He is buried in the Alexandria Presbyterian Cemetery, Huntingdon, Pennsylvania and after all the variations on his name it is inscribed as Redmond.

Redmond married Barbara A Rudy on November 7, 1850. Barbara was born on April 2, 1823 and died on February 3, 1881. She is buried in the Alexandria Presbyterian Cemetery, Huntingdon, Pennsylvania. Redmond and Barbara had the following children:
William Newell Hutchison, John Henry Hutchison, Martha Jane Hutchison, Mary Elizabeth Hutchison, Sarah Ann Hutchison, Thomas Jefferson Hutchison, George Rudy Hutchison, David Barrick Hutchison, and Elsie May Hutchison

Lewis Hutchison (son of Sarah Watson and George Hutchison) was born about 1825. Lewis married Elizabeth Thompson who was born about 1825. Lewis and Elizabeth had the following children: John Thompson Hutchison, Adolphus Banks Hutchison, Alice Letitia Hutchison, Sarah Lucitia Hutchison, Laura Esther Hutchison, Adrian S “Adrie” Hutchison, James Howard Hutchison, Mary Martha Hutchison, Edward M Hutchison, and Asbury Lawrence Hutchison

Is there any connection with your Hutchisons?

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 10:40AM GMT
My Lewis Hutchison's daughter Ellen Hutchison married Pittsburgh lawyer Edwin M Stanton who was Abraham Lincoln's Secretary of War. Most of these families were connected to Robert Lincoln who was the US Ambassador to England.

My Lewis Hutchison was a shipper out of Pittsburgh somehow connected to the Gage Mansion in Huntington PA. Many of these families lived in Orbisonia and were into the railroad. They did steamboats before that. They were also into an over-mountain cannel that ran throught that area.

They in turn were related to Simon Chase who was from Harrisburg. This all goes back to President James Buchanan's summer Whitehouse being in Bedford. His brother was married to Pittsburgh song writer Stephen Foster's sister. I would go into the Redmond's but I am sure you can now clearly see this is a coincidence.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic