Search for content in message boards

High Town Path and early Turkeytown settlers

High Town Path and early Turkeytown settlers

Posted: 12 Aug 2006 11:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WHITE, PRATER, WILSON, ANDERSON, CRAFT, COATS, COWAN, BERRY, EDMUNDSON
"The old Hightown Path, stretching from Atlanta, GA, to the Chickasaw Territory, in west Alabama, went through Turkeytown" (p. 9).

"Virginia, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina contributed most of the first settlers to Etowah County. Immigrants coming into Alabama form the Carolinas and Virginia crossed the Blue Ridge Mountains in wagons, then traversed through its deep gorges into the Tennessee Valley. Quite often they followed Indian trails and roads cut by Andrew Jackson during his dramatic forays into Alabama. One road crossed at Nickajack in exrreme northeast Alabama on the Tennessee line and went down Wills Valley (DeKalb Co. AL] along the route of the present Alabama Great Southern Railroad. The High Town Path crossed the Chattahoochee River at Shallow Ford just north of Atlanta, and extended into Chickasaw country by way of High Town, Turkeytown [Etowah Co. AL], and other Cherokee Indian villages. Another trail led from Ditto's Landing on the Tennessee River down through Blount County. The Georgia State Road was routed form Dallas [Paulding Co. GA] and Cedartown [Polk Co. GA] through Centre [Cherokee Co. AL] and Collinsville [DeKalb Co. AL] making possible a direct route into north Alabama" (p. 18).

"Pioneers who came to Turkeytown included J. C. White, Jack Prater, Jack Wilson, James Anderson, W. B. Craft, Gideon and John Coats, W. N. Cowan, and Sam Berry. the annual Methodist campmeeting was already a popular event there as early as 1842. Sam Edmundson's mercantile store handled choice stocks of dry goods,glass ware, and ready made clothing for many years" (p. 22).

--A HISTORY OF ETOWAH COUNTY ALABAMA, 1968 (Part I by Elbert L. Watson)

I know the COATS came from Newberry Co. SC. From whence came the others? What is (or was) the route of the Alabmaa Great Southern Railroad? Where was High Town?
Do any of you readers know for sure that your ancestors who settled in Etowah Co. AL crossed through the Blue Ridge Mountains? Do any of you readers know for sure that your ancestors who settled in Etowah Co. AL came through Georgia? Does anyone know the exact site of Sam Edmundson's mercantile store in Turkeytown?

Mary Meyer

Re: High Town Path and early Turkeytown settlers

Posted: 27 Oct 2007 12:13AM GMT
Surnames: WHITE
HI, Read your post and I too am searching WHITE. I'm sorry I don't have any of the answers to your questions. I do however have many questions about WHITE. The race is white. I recently found in an obit of my grandfather THOMAS FRANKLIN WHITE, that he was born in Etowah County. Which means his father could have been an early settler in Etowah. Thomas Franklin White was born 08 Sep 1889 Gadsden, Etowah County, AL and died 27 Mar 1969 in Mobile AL. I was 10 when Thomas Franklin died, I knew him, but I didn't really know him. None of his survivors were ever told about his family, since he seemed to have led a secretive life. My father told me all he knew, which was what he had been told by older siblings and what little their father mentioned through the years.

I would love to find a connection for this dead end I have been up against! Any info is greatly appreciated! My email is thewhiteglove@aol.com

Thanks, Jan

Posted: 27 Oct 2007 12:15AM GMT
Surnames: WHITE
Forgot to mention, my grandfather had a lot of Cherokee in him.

Jan

Posted: 13 Nov 2007 1:22AM GMT
Surnames: Coats
I had always understood that the Coats of Coats' Bend came from Kershaw Co. SC...as opposed to the Coats of Duck Springs that came from Laurens/Newberry Co.'s. It appears to me that the two "main" Coats men in Coats' Bend were Gideon and Sion...but I have also seen a John mentioned. It also seems that Gideon and Sion's mother was there...seems like her name was Sarah. I also recall a will for a Sion Coats being probated in Kershaw Co. SC...and it mentions his wife, Sarah, and at least two sons Sion and Gideon. Do you have much info on the Coats family?

Posted: 6 Oct 2014 8:40PM GMT
In case anyone's still curious about High Town; it is/was a Creek Indian village in the vicinity of today's town of Rome, Georgia.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic