Search for content in message boards

C. Shambaugh in N.Codorus Twp

C. Shambaugh in N.Codorus Twp

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 7:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a map dated 1876 of North Codorus Twp. Directly below the location for Glatfelters Station are several names, including C. Shambaugh. Who was that person? A very short distance to the left (west?) of that name is G. Shambaugh, (George) who was my greatgrandfather. I have not been able to find a C Shambaugh online at this location.

I am interested because there were several members of George's family who also immigrated and I have been unable to find them after they reached this country. Could C.Shambaugh be Catharine?

If anyone can answer this or tell me where I might find an answer I will appreciate it.

Many thanks.

Helen

Re: C. Shambaugh in N.Codorus Twp

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 9:27PM GMT
Surnames: Shambaugh
HI Helen, I looked in the records at the York County Heritage Trust library and found nothing. The York County Archives has the tax records for 1876. I would ask them to look from 1874-78 and see if they find a C. Shambaugh.
Good Luck in your search.

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 4:18PM GMT
Many thanks for your help Ed. I'll email them today.

Helen

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 11:08PM GMT
Surnames: Shambaugh
My son is a cartographer. Some times map makers add road etc that aren't there to help determine if some one is stealing their work. I don't know if this is a case of that or not.
I thought that C. might be a middle initial like in Anna Catherine or Henry C. There was an outside chance that it might have been an O originally. However I could not find a case of either one.
Please let me know what you find out.

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 1:28PM GMT
Good morning....Just a thought...many STAMBAUGH families were located N. Codorus twp. It could be that somewhere along the way Stambaugh was mistaken for Shambaugh or vise-versa.

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 2:39PM GMT
I haven't heard yet from the Archives. When I do I'll be sure to let you know what they say. Thanks for your interest.

It took me about 8 years to connect this Schambach/Shambaugh family with the George Miller family in N. Codorus who were in-laws, and it was a winding path to do so. Several years back you checked tax records for the Millers there and you told me one family had (German) written after the name, probably to differentiate from other Millers. That really helped, so I thank you for that too... a bit late but sincere.

Helen

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 2:45PM GMT
That's a good thought, Roy. I'm going to go back over the online deed index.....tried yesterday but couldn't pull it up for some reason... and I think I'll look at Stambaugh also. Could also look at census for 1870 & 1880 and see if there was a C. Stambaugh anywhere, couldn't I?

Many thanks for your idea!
Helen

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 8:40PM GMT
Hi Ed,

My first email to the Archives must have been lost in space, but I sent another yesterday. They checked the tax records in N. Codorus and found no C. Shambaugh or C. Stambaugh or other possible names. They also checked for estate records for a C. Shambaugh/Stambaugh and nothing helpful came up. They then offered a list of all the Shambaugh/Stambaugh estate files in N. Codorus and that gives me no clues.

There were 2 groups of Shambaughs in York Co. when my greatgranddad lived there. They were from the same old family in Hessen,Germany, but the common ancestor was I think back in the 1600s. I found nothing helpful online for the other group who moved there from Cumberland Co., if I'm right.

The Archives suggested I recheck the old deeds under both names, which I will do. I have some of the Shambaugh deeds but not all.

So.. Still a mystery. Many thanks for your interest and help! If I turn up anything positive I'll let you know.

Helen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic