Search for content in message boards

Rhoan Jarrell La.

Rhoan Jarrell La.

Karen (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 2000 12:20AM GMT
I'm trying to find info. on Rhoan. His father is suppose to be Stephen Jarrell and his son James Clark Jarrell. Rhoan is burried in Evans La.
Thank you,
Karen
Flutes4u@aol.com

Rhoan Jarrell

P. J. Gray (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2001 5:39PM GMT
To Karen: I, also, am trying to find info on Rhoan Jarrell. I have found him in LA and prior to that in MS; however, I have not been able to link him to my set of Jarrells. In 1980 or thereabouts,I had photocopied the old Rhoan Jarrell family Bible at one time, but I cannot find the pages now. I suspect they were crumbling, and I threw them away. The Bible still exists (I think), but the son of the former owner refuses to have anyone handle the Bible at this time. I would be very interested in any information that you may unearth.

Rhoan Jarrell

Karen (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2001 11:25AM GMT
P.J.Gray
I would have like to have seen those bible pages but i have also deleted items i didn't think i would need.The info that i have is this
gen. 1 Charles Henry Jr. born abt.1754 in Pitt cnty North Carolina.He married Mary Bradley. Children were Stephen Jarrell,b.1790.Pitt cnty and Charles Henry the 3rd.
gen.2-Stephen Jarrell married Mary Musgrove.Their children were 1)Rhoan Jarrell,bJuly 16,1831 Miss. 2)Henry Jarrell,b.1834 3)Asa Jarrell 4)Wiley Jarrell 5)Sarah Jarrell
gen.3-Rhoan Jarrell married Mary? their cildren were 1)James Henry Jarrell,b. 1840 2)Rhoan D. Jarrell and 4)Clark Jarrell
gen4-James Henry Jarrell married Sarah Minerva Boudin. I've been told that at age 16 James Henry and his Father were in the War for Texas Independance under Sam Houston
Thank you,
Karen

Rhoan Jarrell

P. J. Gray (View posts)
Posted: 13 Feb 2001 11:12AM GMT
To Karen:
WOW! I had no idea that anyone had researched the older Rhoan back so far. I only do a little research in the free 6 weeks I have in the summer. I have little time to travel except then. I had hunted a little at the genealogical library in Lake Charles and at the Vernon Parish Library, but never had enough time to really locate much info. You have given me much to add to what little I have. My aunt, who is 90 years old, will be thrilled to hear your report. Thanks so much! P. Gray

Rhoan

Karen Langrick (View posts)
Posted: 14 Feb 2001 10:52PM GMT
Patricia,
Im glad it helps. I wish I could take credit for it all but I was given some of this info. by my moms cousins in Evans La.were A lot of Jarrells are and from a helpful Tom Jarrell and others. I would like to find doc. for Rhoan being in the War for Texas as I am a direct decendant of his and James Henry.Good hunting!
Karen

Rhoan/Rowan Jarrell/Jarrel

Ina (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2001 11:54PM GMT
Am decendent of a Rowan S. Jarrel (we spell it Jarrell now) The 1880 Vernon Parish Census has 5 HHs listed for Jarrel,Jarrell: one for Stephen Jarrel age 30, one for James Jarrell age 34, one for Rowan Jarrel age 30, one for Rowan S. Jarrel age 40, one for Henry Jarrel age 48. In the Evans Community Cemetary there is a small headstone with " Rhoan J. Jarrel died Nov 20 1883" inscribed. I was always told this was my g g grandfather, even tho in my mother's writing she spelled it Rowan S. Jarrell. He wed a Jane Lindsey. There are lots of Jarrell families and relations in the Evans area, I have not had time to authenticate what info I have, but would share .The info on the old Jarrell bible interests me, would you share name of owner at present? I research 3 or 4 family names in Vernon Parish and may have some info/documents to trade for info from bible - who knows?

Rhoan Jarrell

Posted: 8 Jun 2001 6:28PM GMT
Edited: 3 Feb 2003 1:51AM GMT
Patricia,

If you would like to know who your GGGGG Grandfather is, get in touch with me at tom_jarrell@yahoo.com. Also I found Rhoan Jarrell in Texas in 1860. Have names of children, dates of birth, and so on.

Also, Stephen Jarrell was living with his daughter Sarah Jarrell Smith in Texas in 1860. Rhoan J JArrell was the son of Stephen Jarrell, the first permanent white settler of what is now Picayune, Mississippi. Sarah Jarrell Smith was Rhoan's sister. I have tons of information on these Jarrells.

Re: Rhoan/Rowan Jarrell/Jarrel

P. J. Gray (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 2001 3:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Apr 2004 5:21PM GMT
Surnames: Jarrell
Ina,
The old Rhoan Jarrell Bible contains the following items:
Louisa Jarrell
A_lina Jarrell 3-15-1857
Mary Jarrell died 1-27-1859 on Saturday
John W. Jarrell 6-8-183?
Henry Jarrell born 9-18-1840
Mary Elizabeth 8-18-184?
James C. Clark 4-27-1846
Rhoan Jarrell 7-16-185? (The census said 1850.)
John Jarrell married Sarah Lewis 11-28-1860
S. Lewis and ___________married 1-24-1867.
John Jarrell died 8-5-1862
Charley Lindsey born 5-23-1861
Louisa Catherine McKee born 12-3-187? (1872 or 1873)
W. R. McKee born 2-22-1876
Rhoan Jarrell married Martha Jane Lindsey 9-18-1862
Benjamin Jarrell born 6-1-1864
Thomas Jefison (Jarrell) born 1-17-186?
Martha Manervia (Jarrell) born 7-15-1866
Mary Francis (Jarrell) born 11-8-1872
George Washington (Jarrell) born 9-15-1875
R. J. Jarrell died 11-26-1883
Babe 6-1-1864

That is all that was legible in the Bible. Some of the dates were so blurred that they could not be deciphered. The Bible was in the house of Mamie Lofton (Loftin?) when I last saw it.
I believe her son has it now. He was contacted in the summer of 2000, but he has not been willing to let us see the Bible. I do not know it it still exists or not. Good hunting! You may have more luck than I did.

PJ Parker (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 2002 7:03AM GMT
I am interested to know where this Lofton/Loftin lived. I have Jarrell family that was "adopted" by Lofton/Loftin's. Some of the names seem to correspond with some of my family. Any help will be appreciated.

PJ Parker

P. J. Gray (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2002 4:01PM GMT
The Mrs. Loftin who had the old Rhoan Jarrell Bible lived in
Evans, Louisiana. The old house is still there. Her son lives
nearby, maybe even next door. I was told that the house is
intact, with furniture and possessions still inside. I have not
had any correspondence with her son to find out any more about availability of the Bible for photocopying. I hope you
have more luck than we have had so far. Happy hunting!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions