Search for content in message boards

Matthew McCann

Matthew McCann

c weale (View posts)
Posted: 24 Apr 2000 7:10PM GMT
Looking for information about Matthew McCann born County Meath Ireland 1768-Died May 11,1835. Had at least one son, also Matthew born 1809 in Ireland, he later immigrated to Canada. Seeking name of wife and also if there were any other children

Re: Matthew McCann

Posted: 9 Oct 2008 7:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCann
Matthew McCann's children were:
Patrick 1799-1875
Thomas 1801-1881
Mary 1805-1880

I went to Ballinacree Meath Ireland in 2005 and spoke with the parish priest who had the original parish records in his possession. The records date from 1836 - nothing earlier. One of the Matthew's children stayed behind to care for him and did not emigrate to Canada. This family branch is still in the Ballinacree area. The priest referenced an Ashley McCann but not her married name.

Posted: 13 Oct 2008 10:06AM GMT
Hi
I am interested in all the McCanns from the Oldcastle/Ballinacree area in Ireland. I noticed the names Matthew and Ashley coming up in your post These are common names in my family tree, and also common in many families. I have mailed a cousin in Oldcastle for his comments on your posting.

In case you are interested see www.katesjourney.lytenet.com for the history of my McCanns from Oldcastle.

Graham Wilson Australia

Posted: 13 Oct 2008 11:40PM GMT
Surnames: McCann
Matthew McCann (1768-1835) from Ballinacree Ireland had four children:

Patrick (1799-1875)
Thomas (1801-1881)
Mary (1805-1880)
Matthew (1809-1883)emigrated to Canada
married Honora Keighran 1834 in Toronto
settled in Esquising Twp, Halton Co.

Posted: 15 Oct 2008 11:02PM GMT
This is a longshot, I know. My GGG grandfather was a Thomas McCann, married to a Catherine Lynch ca 1818-1820. All their children were born in Castlepollard in Co. Westmeath and baptized at St. Michael's RC church there, which is not too far from Oldcastle. There is no record of Thomas/Catherine's marriage in Castlepollard, so the supposition is that they moved to the vicinity from elsewhere. Castlepollard is very near the juncture of Cavan, Meath, and Westmeath. When I visited there, I went to the closest town in Cavan, where a lot of McCanns are buried, checked more than 200 years of records with no luck. So, it's very possible that my Thomas came not from Cavan but Meath. One of his sons, James, married a Gibney who are also very numerous in Meath (near Oldcastle) and in northern Westmeath. Does anyone know of a connection, especially between Matthew's son Thomas and my Thomas?

Posted: 17 Apr 2009 3:06PM GMT
I don't know if you heard anything back... but you might be right here. We have records of a Thomas McCann that was born in 1801. That would make their marriage occurring about the time they were 17-19 years old.

Posted: 17 Apr 2009 3:21PM GMT
Brenda,

Is this Thomas related to our Matthew or just a record discovered? Have you discovered the location in Ireland our Matthew was from?

Jeff@ibssg.org

Posted: 17 Apr 2009 3:36PM GMT
So, my obvious question would be whether there is any evidence you've seen that your Thomas McCann, son of Matthew, married a Catherine Lynch. You mentioned seeing some church records. Could you tell me the name of the church because LDS quite possibly will have the films? Thanks.

Posted: 17 Apr 2009 4:49PM GMT
Records that were given to me mention Matthew (1768) having 3 sons and a daughter. One son, thomas, had a wife nicknamed Kitty... though that may be wrong... The best lead might be Nancy's suggestion of tracking down the parish preist named Frank that was in Ballinacree in 2004 and had the parish marriage records with him.

The other thing that I have been researching, though, is a Patrick McCann [Matthew's (1768) brother ???], was a flax farmer in Oldcastle as of 1796. So there may be decendents on that side to consider.

Posted: 17 Apr 2009 10:17PM GMT
Does anyone have any idea of the name of the Oldcastle church where these records originated? LDS has films of just about all the Irish churches. I think that my trying to find an Oldcastle priest whose name is Frank would be extremely difficult. Thanks.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions