Search for content in message boards

Slater family

Slater family

M. Mandolin Slater (View posts)
Posted: 23 Feb 2000 4:22AM GMT
I am looking for the missing pieces of the slater puzzle that is left of my family. I have few living relatives that I know of, and am searching for anyone who knows of the origin of 'Slater'. Any help at all on this subject would be an immense help.

Slater Name

katie slater (View posts)
Posted: 29 Feb 2000 11:18AM GMT
I have some info on our surname...i can be reached at ktslater@ee.net

Slater Name

Mark Atkinson (View posts)
Posted: 6 Mar 2000 2:32PM GMT
I too have a great dela of family with the name of slater. My Maternal great great grandfather was Samuel Frost Slater from Milbury or Fitchburg Mass. He was married to Elizabeth Kelley. Please provide me with any information that you might have. Some Slaters moved to Calif in 1906

Slater name

Posted: 15 Mar 2000 6:40PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jul 2001 3:27PM GMT
If you have any information on Slaters in NC or SC, I would greatly appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.

Slater Family

Jo Fussell (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2000 1:47PM GMT
I was raised by my grandmother, Rayna Slater (Lining), who was from South Carolina. I believe from Charleston, but could be Orangeburg. She had a sister, Maisie, and a young brother (I don't remember his name), who died at the age of 4 from Typhoid fever. I believe she told me her father's name was Franklin. I do not recall her mother's name. My sister was named for her (Rayna Slater Lining) and my daughter has her first name, Rayna. My grandmother used to tell me of her two uncles (names unknown); one of which was in the Confederate army and the other, a Yankee. She spoke of the slaves that had been owned by her family. When they were given their freedom, they chose to stay and work for wages, because her family had treated them well.
Posted: 29 Mar 2000 10:48PM GMT
Edited: 14 Oct 2001 2:20AM GMT
I am also looking for Slater roots. I can find referance to the branch I am searching for in Ohio around 1850(census info) thanits a gap. Any help would be appreciated.

Slater family

michael halley (View posts)
Posted: 31 Mar 2000 10:15PM GMT
G'day,
I am an Australian descendant of the Slater family which I have traced back to England in the early 1800s. My maternal grandmother was Edith Smith Slater, the daughter of John Benjamin Slater born in Manchester in 1830. His father was Thomas born in Manchester in 1809.
John Benjamin and his wife Caroline Johnson would have migrated to Australia before 1852. I have not traced their arrival as at this stage I have sort of 'worn my eyes out' looking at old records.
I have not read the other replies that are on line but SLATER would most likely refer to the profession of some of our most distant relatives. Originally only CHRISTIAN names were used but as the population grew it became confusing as to which 'John' you were talking about so Surnames were given to people according to the work they did; for instance John the Butcher would have started the Butcher surname. Our people no doubt were skilled people who put slate on roofs. A person who puts slates on is a Slater. I am sure it is not related to the small slimy things which slide about in our gardens.
Good luck with your search,if you can trace a link we are related, if not best regards Michael

SLATER Family

Heather SLATER Davies (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2000 7:48PM GMT
I have reason to believe (census records) that my SLATER's are of German ancestry. Although most of my SLATER's ended up in Canada, my gr-gr-grandfather John Slater was born 1793 somewhere in the US. I have quite alot of info that I'd be glad to share, I can be reached by at mandhdavies@pacificcoast.net

Slater name

Lisa Slater Dempsey (View posts)
Posted: 19 Apr 2000 7:25PM GMT
I grew up in A small town in London England called Barking. My fathers name is Gerrald Slater and his father was Arthur James Slater married to Mary. Thats relly all i know as far as names but there are ALOT of Slaters in London. Maybe there is a connection there?
Please e-mail me @ t1dempsey@juno.com

kelley/kelly

katrina masters (View posts)
Posted: 21 Oct 2000 9:22PM GMT
my grandmothers madien name was kelly not sure how to spell.She maried william henry slater
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions