Search for content in message boards

QUEEN ALLIQUIPPA, Seneca Chief

QUEEN ALLIQUIPPA, Seneca Chief

Posted: 18 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 21 Jan 2004 3:33PM GMT
Surnames: PENN, WEISER, WASHINGTON
"Indians in Pennsylvania", by Paul A.W. Wallace.

QUEEN ALLIQUIPPA: A Seneca woman, best known as the acknowledged chief of an Indian community in the vicinity of the Forks of the Ohio (Pittsburgh). She is said to have met William PENN at New Castle, Delaware, in 1701. In later years her home was in western Pennsylvania. Conrad WEISER in 1748 visited her on the Allegheny a short distance above the mouth of the Monongahela. In 1752 she was found living near the mouth of Chartier's Creek. George WASHINGTON in 1753 called on her at the mouth of the Youghiogheny. "Queen Alliquippa's Cornfield" is the name of a field by the Youghiogheny at Robbins Station (North Huntington Township, Westmoreland County) where Alliquippa's Indians are said to have come in the summer to raise corn. She died 1754, Aughwick, whither she had retired with other Indians friendly to Pennsylvania after Washington's surrender at Fort Necessity.

children?

Susan Dixon (View posts)
Posted: 4 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
do you know who she was married to and/or the name of her children?

Queen Aliquippa

Posted: 2 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 8 Apr 2005 8:44AM GMT
Surnames: Creyelin, Stoneking
It's my understanding that Queen Alliquippa had a daughter named Judith Creyelin. Judith was married to John Stoneking.

alliquippa

connie collier (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: stoneking
I thought alliquippa was married to jacob stoneking

Family of Oppemayia

Jennifer Colyer (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2004 3:34PM GMT
Surnames: CHARTIER, SEAWORTH
It is my understanding that Queen ALLIQUIPA was daughter of Chief OPPEMAYIA. ALLIQUIPA also had two other sisters, one named SNOW IN THE FACE, the other a SEAWORTH. This ___ SEAWORTH married Martin Chartier, famous French explorer. Does this match with anyone else's information? Can anyone fill in the gaps I've left?

Thanks,
Jennifer Colyer

Re: alliquippa

Posted: 27 Apr 2005 5:31AM GMT
I believe Ali Quippa never married Jacob Stoneking due to dates,etc, which would of proved it inpossible. All I have is Ali Quippa (II), having a daughter Judith who married Thomas Croil. Ali was the dauther of Ali Quippa. A early descendant of Judith, my great grandmother told me that there was a native in the family which I believe I found.

Re: Family of Oppemayia

Posted: 10 Oct 2006 9:31PM GMT
Surnames: Queen Aliquippa, Martin Chartier, Seaworth, Dibert
Shawnee Nation website lists Martin Chartier as marrying Pekowia Woman Seaworth of the Pekowia tribe. I also had heard there is a connection to Queen Aliquippa, that Seaworth may have been her twin sister. Where can we find proof? Martin Chartier's daughter was Mary Seaworth who married John deBurt (Dibert) first white setters west of the Susquehanna River, PA.

Posted: 27 Dec 2006 7:56PM GMT
My Myers family ran Keelboats in the mid to late 1700's from McKeesport area which is the site of Queen Aliquippa's tribe. I have another completely different take on the Queen from some of my family records. I believe she is related to George Washington through the Spotswood family. I have way more on this but I thought I would throw this out as a start.

Posted: 23 Aug 2009 10:33PM GMT
Surnames: Seaworth,chartier
Jennifer~ Am descended also from Aliquippa and also Mary Seaworth Chartier. Queen Aliquippa was Seneca and Mary Seaworth was Shawnee. Contact me and I'll find my info to give you. You can contact me directly at winsomeacresarts@netsync.net

Re: Queen Aliquippa

Posted: 9 Jul 2011 7:44PM GMT
Aliquippa would be a Seneca cousin of mine from the 1700s. I am Shawnee, Seneca and Oneida. My primary tribal group is Shawnee.

I would also be interested in any children that she had, and their descendants.

Ken Lonewolf Long
lonewlf99@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions