Search for content in message boards

Adding Children?

Adding Children?

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 10:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
When adding children to a married couple which partner do you add the children too?
as i have noticed on my list of people i had some doubles and when i look at the tree Both the Husband and Wife have 2 little boxes 1 blue and one pink with the smae info in both would this create doubles on the list?
Allan

Re: Adding Children?

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 11:52AM GMT
Are you adding children manually or by merging from another tree or by finding the family in a later census with defined relationships?

If you are adding manually, the attached clip shows (at the bottom) how to select one or both parents. If you know that the person is a child of both, select both.

If you are merging from another tree (or several trees) you can often wind up with duplicates. Be very wary of adding in that manner.

If you are merging from the census, be wary, since the defined relationships may not be accurate (stepchildren, for example).

Hope this helps.
Attachments:

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 12:09PM GMT
I had to tranfer my tree from FTM 2006 to FTM 2012 i then went public on Ancestry and to be honest i did not notice any faults at the time
it was just when i looked at a list of people on my tree i found some duplicates of children with some parents
and i did not know whether it had something to do with the the 2 little boxes attached to each parent?
Allan

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 12:36PM GMT
You're looking at family view, right?

Those little pink and blue boxes are just a link to look at the rest of that person's family, in family view.

Family view has limitations - do NOT rely on it for finding duplicates accurately.

Look in List of all people to see if you actually have duplicates.
Attachments:

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 1:22PM GMT
hi looking at the reference you attachad the bottom 2 people its only the females that have the pink and blue boxes
on mine the some of the married males and females have the boxes for the same children
if that makes sense to you
Allan

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 1:44PM GMT
The little boxes do NOT represent children - they are a link to view the family line of that person.

The attached image is my great grandparents - note that both have the 2 little boxes, but I can assure you that their 9 children are in my tree only once.

Again, do not rely on family view for verifying duplicates. Look at List of All People.
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions