Search for content in message boards

1770s York County Gibsons--any experts out there?

1770s York County Gibsons--any experts out there?

Posted: 27 May 2013 12:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm searching for help with my Gibson brick wall, James Gibson b 13 Jan 1776 in York, PA. His siblings were Elizabeth (1767), William (1771), Sarah, and Peggy. Maybe others. We do not know who their parents were. Years of searching has produced almost nothing. James married Sarah Ann "Sally" Phillips.

Siblings Elizabeth and William were also born in York. She married James Montgomery (1778) and he married Eliza Morrow (1773). The first 4 siblings (at least) migrated to (KY first, in the case of James, and) Indiana. There seem to be some family connections in VA and NC.

We are at that point of needing help from York County historians. Would love to hear from any pros there, or anyone with detailed info. on Gibsons in that area. Any contact ideas appreciated.

Julie

Re: 1770s York County Gibsons--any experts out there?

Posted: 27 May 2013 4:56PM GMT
Julia: i searched the book "HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PA"
Written by JOHN BIBSON , HISTORICAL EDITOR.
Published 1886 by F.A. BATTEY PUBLISHING CO., CHICAGO
There is a lot of Gibson families listed in this book,on page 511 but I can not make any connections to your family with the information in your post.
EARL

Posted: 27 May 2013 7:53PM GMT
Surnames: Gibson
In the 1779 Taxes for York County James and Robert are in Fawn township,widow Gibson and William are in Mt Joy Township, John is in Hopewell and there is a widow Gibson and another John single in Hamilton Bann Township. Assuming that the Gibsons didn't move out of York until after 1780 for the sake of argument one of those listed above is the father/mother of James Gibson b. 1776. Have you eliminated any of the above already? Where your Gibsons Quakers or Presbyterians?

Posted: 28 May 2013 12:16AM GMT
Earl,

Thank you--When I first heard of this book, I was very excited. After all, it was written about York County and by a Gibson--can't get much better than that, I thought. I figured I had it in the bag! Not so. It seemed to cover the 1800s much better than the 1700s. I think my Gibsons moved on by the 1800s or before. Amazing how much people moved in that age. I certainly didn't read it cover to cover and there may be something in there, but I didn't find it. Of course it's a logical book to try. Thanks for replying.
Julie

Posted: 28 May 2013 12:59AM GMT
Hi Ed,
Yes, James and John are especially possible as the father of my ancestor, James Gibson, b. 1776 in York, PA. Is there more information? I realize that in the 1700s it was generally the men only who were listed by name.

My James had a bro William but his mother would not be a widow in 1779, unless her November 1780 child was not her husband's. That baby (Sarah Gibson) was born in Amherst, Virginia, something I just learned this month, and a death of the father could explain why the mother was in VA (with relatives probably). But more likely, they had all moved to VA, sometime after 1776.

They had at least 3 children in York, PA: Eliz. in 1767, William in 1771, and my James in 1776. Then in 1780, Sarah was born in Amherst, VA, or so it says on Findagrave. From there, they went to KY and then IN.
I'm afraid I do not know their religion.

There are many other descendants who are stumped. I've decided the answer might lie among genealogy scholars of York, or early Gibson scholars, if there are such persons.
Unfortunately there were many lines of Gibsons, and mine tend to all be named James! Thanks so much for your reply.

Julie

Posted: 29 May 2013 12:48AM GMT
Julie, I gave you some information from what I had at home. I'll look in York the next time I go and see what I can find.

Posted: 29 May 2013 5:01AM GMT
Ed,
That would be wonderful (I'm on the west coast). You can reach me here, or at jgibsonjgibson@yahoo.com. The information is on my public tree, "James Gibson 1776, York, PA" (something like that). Many thanks,
Julie

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 2:42AM GMT
Edited: 9 Jun 2013 3:19AM GMT
Here's what I did today. I looked at the Gibson's who were in York in 1779 and saw that all were still in York in 1780 and 81. I sent you the wrong info on Fawn. In 1779 it was James and Robert not James and John.
then I figured that your Gibson was gone from Fawn by 1779 so I looked at the taxes feom 1771-1778 and there were only 2 Gibsons in Fawn for those years Robert and Jacob. Robert died 1778 and I believe the James and Robert in Fawn in 1779 are his sons. Jacob sold land in 1779 to Mathew Hartford per Deed 2A227. Jacob's wife was Anna Whiteford per her Mother's Harford County Maryland will in 1791 in Book AJU page 240. Anna was the daughter of Hugh Whiteford and the widow Anna Alexander. Her first Husband was Jedediah Alexander who died in 1750 and had no children and he had York County will A-10.
This still doesn't prove who James parents are. I feel some of the older sons of Robert or Jacob were living at home with their wives and your James might be from one of them.
Jacob's 1809 York County M-151 will does not list a William or Sarah or James.
How positive are you that York County is the right place to look?

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 3:29PM GMT
Ed,
Well, I am not positive. It's just what has been recorded by various people. I have (at least) one 3rd cousin who has done record research, and he might know how much of this is documented and how much could be wrong, but it's pretty hard to get a reply from him.

I appreciate all you did there. I looked at deed info. on the York Archives website this morning, and I see there was also a John Gibson who sold land in Sept 1780, to Jacob Shafer.

You are quite right to question York. Maybe the answers lie in Virginia, or in KY where they went next. I'm not sure what besides a will or info. handed down through families would connect a set of children's names to their parents' names, way back then. I say "set" because just a child named James isn't much of a clue. Church records maybe, and I would guess Presbyterian, but I really don't know.

I know I looked at Jacob and Anna Whiteford Gibson recently and decided that was probably not the right line exactly.

Thank you for your generous help. I'm very sorry that it didn't lead anywhere.
Julie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions