Search for content in message boards

"View relationship to me"

"View relationship to me"

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 2:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Mar 2013 2:48PM GMT
...has just been elevated to a more prominent position directly below a profile name. I'm rather ambivalent as to this elevation because I believe the feature itself is somewhat ill-considered in its conception and I rarely use it as currently implemented.

IMHO, it would be a considerably more utilitarian feature were it designed to provide an easily selectable "View relationship to 'select profile here'" option. I have several public trees that relate to a specific family lineage of interest within a century-old time period...offered in public to hopefully introduce sourced and sometimes corrective information into a sea of unsourced errata or to hopefully garner some "member connect" advancement within a portion of my own personal lineage.

It would be terrific to be able to simply ascertain a relationship between profiles "this" and "that" within a tree of which I am not a part...and my uninformed programming sense is that such an implementation might not take that much programming wizardry to implement.

Re: "View relationship to me"

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 4:35PM GMT
I think this placement is intrusive. I follow family links wherever they take me and most times the people are definitely not related to me but I fill in what I can get. Sometimes you really get a surprise through a 2nd marriage, etc. Sticking that in such a prominent place does not please me at all. I don't care really someone is my 3rd cousins 64th great grandfather. There are things that I really would like to see implemented that are not and probably never will be but they insist on all these unnecessary things-in my humble opinion-I don't "twitter" so will just spell it out.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 6:17PM GMT
Have you noticed that it is now repeated under every name on the List of All Hints? Another way to force us to scroll forever!
Attachments:

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 7:37PM GMT
Edited: 21 Feb 2013 7:46PM GMT
Relationship to me isn't always what that represents. It is the relationship to the home person. The home person is not always the tree owner. Also, the tree owner is not always in any way related by blood. Many people have trees for research purposes only for entirely unrelated people. Further, if this were to be applied to the DNA folks, the tree owner is not always the person who took the tests. Frequently, the tree owner is the person who helped administer the test. Some trees are surname studies that are the opposite of what most people expect and the home person is the first known person with that surname. And there are in-law relationships, adoptions, partnerships, etc. that have always been difficult for this. This could easily lead to false assumptions. If it is to be given more significance than it would need some work.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 8:02PM GMT
The entire thing needs to be re-thought.

1). To be truthful it should say "View Relationship to [Name of the tree's Home Person]".

2). When it shows the actual relationship it should say "[Relationship] of [Name of tree's Home Person]", rather than "Your [Relationship]"

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 9:50PM GMT
Burgess, just when I thought it couldn't get worse.

Ancestry fixing another thing which was already perfect - hidden and used at will. Augh!!!

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 10:32PM GMT
As has been said on another thread today, I just wish the powers-that-be would focus on fixing the things that ARE broken first - like story formatting, that has been broken for at least a year.

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 12:54AM GMT
I feel that taking the relationship calculator away takes away how a person is connected to the other family members, because what if the relationship changes? For example say a 1st cousin so many times removed is really a 3rd cousin so many times removed. I wish that they would put back the relationship calculator.

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 12:59AM GMT
cornishminer - "they" did not remove it - it was made much more prominent and intrusive.

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 1:04AM GMT
I went back to one of the relatives and clicked view relationship to me. I guess one had to go and "nose" around. Well, I guess my mother always did say that I have a nack to finding things out and figuring things out..
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions