Search for content in message boards

Conneely/Connolly (Spiddal)

Conneely/Connolly (Spiddal)

Karen Frederick (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Conneely, Connolly
I am researching the family of Bartley Conneelly, born about 1836. He was married at least two times, the second being to Julia Curran. My great grandmother, Julia Conneely, was born in Kiloe in 1875 but the town of Barna might be where she lived before she came to Boston in the mid-1890s. Is anyone else working on that particular line of Conneelys?
Posted: 18 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jul 2001 1:30AM GMT
Surnames: Connolly, McDonough, Vaughan, Conroy
I just looked at my grandfather's immigration papers in Chicago, Illinois. His information listed his wife Mary McDonough (born 16MAR1887)as being from Spiddal, County Galway, Ireland. Her parents were James McDonough and Julia Connolly.

Connelly's in Spiddal

Posted: 21 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Connelly, Conneely
Wish I could help. I went over to Spiddal last March and found so many layers of Connellys/Conneelys that it looked extremely difficult to separate the individual families. I have the records for my Bartley Conneely who married Anne Curran (his second wife), daughter of Patrick Curran, in 1866 in Knock.

Re: Connelly's in Spiddal

Posted: 25 Nov 2003 5:09PM GMT
Surnames: Connolly/Connelly/Walsh/Welsh/Welch
Karen, did you run into any of the following as you were separating the layers? My grandfather, Bartley Joseph Connolly, was shown as two years of age in the 1885 St. Paul, Minnesota census. However, vital records finds no record for his birth. He had a four year old brother, Thomas. His parents were Patrick Connolly/Connelly (found it spelled both ways) and Bridget Walsh/Welsh/Welch. Patrick was born ca 1853 in Ireland (Spiddal, County Galway) and Bridget was born ca 1857. Bridget had a brother Mark, born 1860 who was living with them at 127 Cayuga, St. Paul. The only information I have on my great grandparents is from the St. Paul Directories and 1885 Census. Both list their parents as foreign born. My grandfather, Bartley, moved to Maine where when he married in 1910 he shows his parents (Patrick and Bridget) as deceased. Thank you in advance for any information you may have on this family.

Posted: 30 Nov 2003 11:03PM GMT
I wish I had been able to separate out all those layers of Conneelys. All those names are so common that I haven't had any luck differentiating them. Sorry!

Posted: 11 Aug 2012 6:35PM GMT
Surnames: connelly, walsh, coyne
I too have ancestors from Spiddal with the last name of Connellys, Walsh, Coyne. I know I still have relatives living there and my dad has visited several times...even they seem confused about who they are related to.

Posted: 11 Aug 2012 6:38PM GMT
I also wanted to mention that they came in through Boston but eventually settled in Portland Maine.

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 10:34AM GMT
I also have a Connolly/Conneely connection from the Spiddal area in Galway some of whom settled in Portland, Maine.
My great grandfather Edward J Connolly and great grandmother Mary Folan/Foley got married in Portland in 1906 but came back to Ireland and settled in Barna.
Edward J Connolly's brothers Michael T and James Connolly followed him to Portland.
Is there any connection with you on this line?

Posted: 31 Oct 2012 6:03AM GMT
My grandfather's name was Thomas Edward Connolly Sr. He father (my great grandfather) was born in Ireland and his name was Michael Connolly.
It seems we are related as cousins. I live in Murrieta California... My father is still alive and his name is Thomas Edward Connolly Jr.

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 6:03PM GMT
I recently found out that Edward J Connolly my great great grandfather travelled to the USA on the Peruvian in 1896.
His intended destination was Portland, Maine and his fair was paid for by his brother in law called Bartw Connelly.

As far as I know, he only had one sister called Mary so I assume Bartw was her husband.
The address given was 67 York Street, Portland.
Does anyone recognise this?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic