Search for content in message boards

multiple family members -- adding them automatically

multiple family members -- adding them automatically

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 11:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Just in the last few days I am not getting the option of adding all family members who are listed in a census document. Instead, I have to type each one of them in individually. It's not consistent but it's about 75% of the time. I never had this problem before. Help?

Re: multiple family members -- adding them automatically

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 12:44AM GMT
Which census years?

Before the 1880 US census, the census did not cite relationships, so the names listed in a household are not linked.

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 1:04AM GMT
oh, maybe that's the reason. I've never experienced this before but then I haven't been going so deeply in the past. I expect that you're right.

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 4:10AM GMT
There is a big problem with adding family members automatically that maybe you have not thought of. Oftentimes, a person may be recorded in one census with one given name and then in the next decade, maybe a nick name or something similiar-as in Lizzie, then Elizabeth, or John and then Jno or Johnnie. In cases such as this and they happen frequently, you could wind up with 2 or 3 profiles for the same person simply due to different names being used. I would advise not taking shortcuts like that. That might look quicker but in the long run could cause you to have many duplicates.

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 6:25PM GMT
I appreciate your comment but I am very careful to make sure that I'm not adding people for whom I don't have complete confirmation, including, as you point out, different names for the same people. It is precisely the lack of care you point out that makes using other people's trees a dicey source of information in my experience.

And another point to add to yours is that the relationships are not necessarily what they are stated on forms or what they might be thought to be at first. Sisters appear to be wives etc. So, I agree about the cautions!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions