Search for content in message boards

Search for Bell's Donaghadee

Search for Bell's Donaghadee

Posted: 3 Nov 2010 7:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm looking for ancestors with the surname BELL, living in Donaghadee in the 1800's. Any information about a Martha Bell born about 1850 would be greatly appreciated - she is probably buried in Donaghadee Churchyard. Thanks

Re: Search for Bell's Donaghadee

Posted: 4 Nov 2010 7:59PM GMT
these are not transcripts but real photos of the gravestones taken recently, i have permission to reproduce this index list. i would also check the fully transcribed versions
Bell E-Donaghadee Parish Headstones-www.graves1.homecall.co.uk/Donaghadee
Bell H-Bangor Abbey selection-www.graves.homecall.co.uk/BangorAbbey
Bell H- Ballywalter, Whitechurch Cemetery,-www.yorick.homecall.co.uk/Whitechurch
Bell J- Ballywalter, Whitechurch Cemetery,-www.yorick.homecall.co.uk/Whitechurch
Bell JM- Ballywalter, Whitechurch Cemetery,-www.yorick.homecall.co.uk/Whitechurch
Bell JS- Ballywalter, Whitechurch Cemetery,-www.yorick.homecall.co.uk/Whitechurch
Bell MJ-Bangor Abbey selection-www.graves.homecall.co.uk/BangorAbbey
Bell MJ-Greyabbey graveyard-www.bangor.homecall.co.uk/Greyabbey
Bell RJ-Bangor Abbey selection-www.graves.homecall.co.uk/BangorAbbey
Bell Robt- Ballywalter, Whitechurch Cemetery,-www.yorick.homecall.co.uk/Whitechurch
Bell T- Ballywalter, Whitechurch Cemetery,-www.yorick.homecall.co.uk/Whitechurch
Bell T-Greyabbey graveyard-www.bangor.homecall.co.uk/Greyabbey
Bell W-Bangor Abbey selection-www.graves.homecall.co.uk/BangorAbbey
Bell WJ-Millisle and Copeland Presbyterian -www.graves1.homecall.co.uk/Millisle
Bell Wm-Donaghadee Parish Headstones-www.graves1.homecall.co.uk/Donaghadee

Have you tried Ros Davies co down website use google to find
good luck
jim

Posted: 6 Nov 2010 6:24PM GMT
Hello Jim

Many thanks for your help - I had found a couple of graves on your list but not that many. I live In England but get across to Belfast frequently. I will certainly go to these graves and read the full transcripts.

I have already searched Ros Davies and found some information. I also have 'local' baptism and marriage details, but can't link people.

I am struggling to find burial records of my ancestors in Donaghadee Churchyard. Ive checked PRONI records and they don't seem to have them. I know they were still burying my family there in 1922 but no heasdstones have come to light. I have visited Donaghadee Churchyard and it's a right mess with a lot of overgrowth and broken headstones. Have you got any other ideas of where else I can look.

I appreciate the help you've given me. Many thanks Linda

Posted: 6 Nov 2010 8:23PM GMT
Linda, I may not answer this in one message, you need the fully transcribed versions of these memorials by [Dr} Richard Jessop Clarke whose research was published in different ways by the Ulster Historical Society, sometimes as volumes of a series with different publishers associated with themselves or whatever
eg vol 16 is Church of Ireland.

Posted: 7 Nov 2010 7:29PM GMT
Surnames: Bell, Young, McIlroy, Crombie, Copeland
Hello Linda,

I was excited to see your post. I am also looking for Martha Bell in the 1800s (probably born around 1808 from Seafin or Magheral in County Down, death around 1888. I believe they were Presbyterian. I am also trying to make sense of all the Bell line with so many Robert Bells. What would the relationship be between Donaghadee and these townships or even Rathfriland? I wonder if our Bell lines cross, as I believe my Martha Bell (nee Bell) was a cousin and married Robert Bell. FamilySearch also lists a Martha Bell from Newtownards estimated birth 1824. I am excited to discuss the Bell line with you.

Sincerely, Cathy

Posted: 7 Nov 2010 7:32PM GMT
Surnames: BELL
Hello Jim

Thanks for you're reply. I've already checked vol 16, although I didnt realise what the book was.

I wanted to get back to you before you did any further research to let you know what I already know. There are a number of Bell's in Ballywalter that I'm aware of including a Martha Bell, but she's not my ancestor. I'm sure they are relatives but can't link them as yet.

I wondered if it would help for you to have the names of the burials I am looking for in Donaghadee Churchyard - this information has been given to me by family and also recorded in the local newspapers.

Martha Bell died 1905 in Belfast
Samuel Bell born 1810 - don't know death year
Agnes Bell
Maria Bell
Kennedy Bell
Alexander Bell

I also know that the following Carlilse family members are buried there but can't find them either.

Mary Elizabeth Carlisle nee Bell - Born 1865 buried 1922
John Francis - died 1896 age 1 month
John - died 1897 infant
Robert Henry - died 1898 infant
Mary Elizabeth, died 1907 age 1 year.

If there is no headstone for these deaths is it possible they were buried and no Church records exist?

Do I just need to go to the Churchyard and try to read heastones on the ground?

Thanks Linda

Posted: 9 Nov 2010 12:03PM GMT
Hi Linda, re graveyards that don’t have expected headstones etc.
Burials of Presbyterians etc sometimes took place in Church of Ireland graveyards ie the only one in the neighbourhood.. I don’t know whether a tombstone was allowed or not.
The burial book is therefore of more importance than the tombstones in such cases so your lucky
Donaghadee Cof I according to Ros Davies has records eg North of Ireland FHS (www.nifs.org) has baptisms 1771-1900 & marriages 1772-1921 & burials 1771-1923;

Posted: 9 Nov 2010 12:06PM GMT
It occurs to me that the Donaghadee graveyard might also refer to the one on the carrodore road, back to Ros davies churches I think.Good luck, Jim

Posted: 9 Nov 2010 9:55PM GMT
Surnames: BELL
Finding and sorting out D'dee ancestors is difficult and frustrating. The Tithe Aplotments from the 1830's showed a Samuel Bell in Ballybuttle who had a house, tillage and pasture. I don't have any Carlisles listed though my records might not be complete. Griffith's 1863-4 listed an Agnes Bell in New Row but no Carlisles.

Posted: 10 Nov 2010 6:58PM GMT
Hello Cathy
Sorry I've been a while getting back to you. I was trying to see if there was any link between my ancestors in Donaghadee and your ancestors in the places you mentioned. I think you are probably looking for Bell's a bit further south towards Newry whereas Donaghadee is not far from Belfast. I havn't found any of my ancestors that far south although that's not to say they didn't.
During my research I have found the same firstnames as you are looking for. If I find anything I will let you know.

Sorry Linda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic