Search for content in message boards

JONES Amcestors of DYER CO, TN ` 1830'S

JONES Amcestors of DYER CO, TN ` 1830'S

Posted: 18 Jan 2000 10:01AM GMT
Edited: 23 Jan 2002 2:27AM GMT
Seeking to connect with anyone researching the surname JONES in the DYER COUNTY area of TENNESSEE.

Jones in Tenn

Posted: 18 Jan 2000 10:21AM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2001 1:48PM GMT
I have Jones in Tenn in the 1820's living in Madison Co. I don't know Tenn at all so I'll give some names to see if there is a match.
I have an Elijah Jones b.Abt.1780 m. Margaret
Fentress b.Abt.1780 listed living in Madison Co,1820, son Abner Jones b.1809 m.
Mariah Francis Bobbitt b.1809. It shows Abner and Mariah married Feb 4,1830 Jackson, Tenn. They had 12 kids. I have names if you want them. I have nothing beyond Elijah any help would be welcome. Abner and Mariah moved to Miss I am unsure when maybe 1860
reach me here or at staceybar99@aol.com

Joneses of Tennessee

Pat Jones Teder (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2000 2:48PM GMT
Dear Darlene: My grandfather shows up in the
1880 census in Missouri in the following family:
Head of Household is Benjamin Jones
one daughter, Amanda, and the following sons,
William, John E., Benjamin Gatewood, James, and Charles.
They were all from Tennessee, I think
John E. (my grandfather) and Benjamin Gatewood
were brothers, and maybe lived with an uncle and
his kids. They were from Union City, TN area,
but Dyer County is really close to Obion County.
My dad had a cousin with the last name of Dyer.
Does this sound familiar????

one

Joneses of Tennessee

Posted: 20 Jan 2000 3:05PM GMT
Dear Pat, Thanks for your very interesting response!There do seem to be some parallels. My ggrandfather, CHARLES HENDERSON HOOD married my ggrandmother LEMUEL CANADY JONES in Union City in 1864. He had a daughter named Amanda from a previous marriage. He migrated from the Wake County area of NC to Newbern, Dyer County, Tn c 1830 at age 15. Before 1835 he married Sarah (maiden name unknown although I wonder if it was JONES) In 1838 an ALBERT JONES loaned him fifty dollars secured by personal belongings. The note was witnessed by JOHN E. and DEB JONES. McCORKLE'S DIARIES lis the folloowing JONES as living in the area between 1853 and 1855, H.A, JOHN, JOSIAH, NATHAN, RICHARD, SAMUEL, PAUL and WILLIAM W. I haave not searched the 1640 Dyer County census for the JONES surname. However the 2850 census lists a female head of household, E JONES, age 56, b NC living 2 houses down from my CHARLES H, HOOD and young family. Listed in the household of E. JONES are A (Albert?) m aged 19, M.H., f, aged 14 and my ggrandmother, C. f,aged 12. My ggrandfather moved to Obian County c 1856. Hope this gives a framework and JONES names you might recognize. When was your grandfather born? Do you know the given name of your grandfather's mother ? I assume she was born JONES and married GATEWOOD,- correct? I do not recognize the surname DYER. Would be interested in any additional information you have and be happy to expand upon the above Thanks

JONES in TENN

Posted: 20 Jan 2000 3:31PM GMT
Dear Btacey, Thanks for your reply to my message! I do not recognize any of the given names you list but will go back over my files and would appreciate any additional information about your line and will make a separate file for future reference. Darlene

Joneses of Tenn/MO

Pat (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 2000 3:26PM GMT
Hey Darlene, Boy was I surprised to receive a response
from anyone!!! To answer your questions, my father,
A. Benjamin F. Jones, was born in 1899. His father was
born in May 1863, and his younger brother, Benjamin
Gatewood, was born about 1870, both in Tennessee. I do not know anything
about my grandfather, John (David) Edward Jones. Somewhere
in the back of my mind, it seems that my dad had mentioned
he and his brother were orphans, but not for sure. Both my
grandfather and his younger brother died in Dunklin County, MO
and buried in our family plot. My grandparents always seemed to
have other people in their household living with them. Dyer, was
the last name of my dad's cousin. That's about all I know so far.
Keep in touch, and if you have any ideas, let me know. Thanks, Pat

Obion County Tenn--Jones Family

johanna (View posts)
Posted: 4 Feb 2000 3:18PM GMT
I am looking for info on a James W Jones married to Adline or Addie they had 11 children some of the names are
charlie, maud, thomas, christina, john, james, homer and ruth.
I would like to know Addie's maiden name or any info on this family please you can e-mail me at 1darice1@msn.com

Re: Joneses of Tennessee

Posted: 9 Jul 2011 7:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jones Frazier
Hi there,
I am the great grand daughter of Lemuel Boss Jones and I was reading your comments on the message board at Ancestry.
I am trying to find out his parents' names and I do know that his wife's name was Tranquilla however, I think that might be her middle name because I cannot find any record of her other than the census that says her parents (Frazier) were born in KY.
Some of the names in your message I recognize and am hoping that you recognize the Lemuel Jones name. BTW he was missing an arm
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions