Search for content in message boards

Hamiltons of Cushendun/Cushendall

Hamiltons of Cushendun/Cushendall

Posted: 5 Aug 2008 6:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hamilton, Kane
Looking for information on the Hamilton Family of Cushendun. Patrick Hamilton (born abt 1870) married Mary Kane (born abt 1882) around 1903. They had ten children: Mary, Margaret, Alex, John, Bernard, Sarah, Patrick, William, Daniel and Dennis.

Mary, Margaret, John and Bernard emmigrated to America. Alex went to America but came back to Ireland and the younger siblings all stayed in Ireland.

Trying to find parentage of both Patrick Hamilton and Mary Kane.

Re: Hamiltons of Cushendun/Cushendall

Posted: 5 Aug 2008 8:49PM GMT
Surnames: HAMILTON
You would likely need the Layd Parish chirch records to confirm the names of the parents.
Griffith's Valuations Layd Parish 1861-2
HAMILTON
James, Rananagh
John, Cushendall
John, Faughill
John, High St. C'dall
John, Mill St.,C'dall
John, Tully
Margaret, Killoughag
Margaret, Tully
KANE
Alex, Lagflugh
Anne, Tromna
Charles, Cloghy Weest
James, Kilmore
James, Parkmore
John, Layd
Nicholas, Kilmore

Posted: 7 Feb 2010 6:15PM GMT
Hi,

I am a descendant of the Hamilton's from Layde Parish, Cushendun and Cushendall.

Posted: 7 Feb 2010 6:49PM GMT
ahamilton27 -

Can you provide more info? In what way are you related? Can you share some of your tree?

Posted: 7 Feb 2010 7:50PM GMT
I have Hamilton ancestors who lived in Cushendall and surrounding townlands in the 18th and 19th century. Most emigrated to Canada and the US - MA, Montana, VA. They were Catholic then.

I have personally searched the layde/Cushendall parish registers for all Hamilton birth and marriage entries and found many. Of particular note are Alexander Hamilton and Catherine Murray who emigrated to Prescott Co. Canada, and Archibald b.1781 and James Hamilton who emigrated to Grey Co, Canada.

Before Ireland, this line of Hamilton came from Ayshire, Scotland. In the mid 17th century, they left Scotland for Ireland and MA, USA - Brookfield area.

Where do your Hamilton ancestors come from?

A good start would be a dna test which I have done

Posted: 13 May 2011 9:38PM GMT
Surnames: Hamilton
Hi there,

You mention a DNA test so I'm just curious what your results were. Message me privately if you like.

I am a member of the Hamilton Family DNA project run by Gordon Hamilton and I have Hamilton ancestors in precisely the area of Antrim you describe. While they must have originated in Lanarkshire I know nothing about how or when they came over.

I would guess however we are not related because I'm in Hamilton Group I and I'm unaware of any other Group I members with Irish links. Any response would be appreciated.

Posted: 10 Nov 2011 5:46PM GMT
Hi saforres,
Are you related to John and Rose Hamilton from Ardclinis?
Group I in the DNA project.

Posted: 24 Dec 2011 4:45PM GMT
Hi,
A little slow getting back to you. I had my dna done and fit into group R on the Hamilton Dna project. You say you are group 1- did you mean group A? curious about different Hamilton lines from same area of Ireland.
I was in ireland and went to Layde graveyard where alot of Hamiltons are - its quite a remarkable old ruin church there. al

Posted: 2 May 2012 5:45PM GMT
Surnames: Hamilton, Kane, McCurdy, McKay, McKillop
I visited Cushendun and Cushendall last year tracing my McCurdy relatives and met Hamiltons whose house is on the Torr Road, Tornamona where my Grandparents Daniel and Rose McCurdy's house used to be.

I spoke to a family member there and saw some photos of Mary Kane with people called McKay and McKillop. I have a photo of the house.

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 9:16PM GMT
Surnames: Hamilton
I have traced some of my ancestry back to around this area.

I know of an Archibald Hamilton b. abt. 1879.

He married Mary Mcbride in Layd parish 27 Jun 1823.

Archibald's parents were a Robert Hamilton and a Catherine McIlheran (spelling may be inaccurate), I have no other information on either, except that Robert was a farmer.

Archibald and Mary traveled to live in Campbeltown, Scotland with some of their children sometime between 1828-1861. I have found no records of exactly where they were in Antrim prior to this except that it was around Layd parish, I have heard mention that it may have been Cushendun/Cushendall.

Mary and Archibald had at least two children while in Ireland. Archibald b. abt. 1820, and James b. abt. 1828. Due to the gap in years I suspect there may have been more that I have not discovered.

If anyone has any further information on the Irish roots, I would love to hear from you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions